How to use the 'Set Date & Time' function in SLC?

ckchew666

Hi,

I notice that there is a 'Set Date & Time' feature in SLC 504 under processor status/Main.

Anyone know if I can use the bit in my SLC logic, so that I can synch the slc time with my computer time after a certain duration. I'm not sure if there is any bit like S:40, S:41 & S:42 for the 'Set Date & Time'

Thanks.

I don't know of any way to access that function directly on your computer.

What are you running on the PC? You might be able to write updated date and time directly to those registers on a regular basis if your PC is running RSView or some other software that will communicate with the SLC and allows for scheduling and automating of tasks.

jimbo3123 said:
I don't know of any way to access that function directly on your computer.

What are you running on the PC? You might be able to write updated date and time directly to those registers on a regular basis if your PC is running RSView or some other software that will communicate with the SLC and allows for scheduling and automating of tasks.

Hi,

sorry I do not make my question clear at first. My PC is running RSView32. Basically I need the time at RSVIew32 (PC) to be snych to the SLC 5/04. So, the PC will act as time keeper and after 24 hours PC will update the time to SLC. Or in my program I can write a bit to be toggled automatically after 24 hours, should there be such bit :)

Thx.

Update The Registers

Just simply update the S:42, S:41 & S:40 registers to the correct second, minute, and hour. I don't know of a bit that you can set to emulate the update time button on the status screen.

Last edited:
Re: Update The Registers

zmanvortex said:
Just simply update the S:42, S:41 & S:40 registers to the correct second, minute, and hour. I don't know of a bit that you can set to emulate the update time button on the status screen.

Exactly.

I did something similar recently. I was using RSView SE, and I wrote a macro that wrote the current time to those registers. I then scheduled that macro to run once each day. I'm not familar with RSView32, but I would assume that you could do something similar.

As a sidenote, I couldn't make it work in my case because we were using Micrologix 1200 PLCs instead of SLCs, and micrologix do not allow you to modify those registers from ladder code or over DDE.

In the Micro Logix land if you have Real Time Clock (RTC) module installed there is a bit that enables and disables the clock. (RTC:0/DS). You can see this bit change with the (Set Time and Date ) and (Disable Time ) buttons in the STI function file. When you toggle this bit the time is synced to the computer communicating with it. May be there is a similar bit for the SLC 500s.

In the Micro Logix land if you have Real Time Clock (RTC) module installed there is a bit that enables and disables the clock. (RTC:0/DS). You can see this bit change with the (Set Time and Date ) and (Disable Time ) buttons in the STI function file. When you toggle this bit the time is synced to the computer communicating with it. May be there is a similar bit for the SLC 500s.

RSView32

(I don't have RSView32 loaded on this machine, so the following is from memory).

There is a separate CD for RSView32 that loads the "Application Toolkit" One of the tools in the toolklit is an app called "SynchDateTime.exe" You will create tags in RSView which communicate with the Date/Time registers (S:40, etc.), and enter these tags into the utility.

You then create an Event (in Event Detector) that triggers once a day, or at whatever frequency you want. The Action of this event will RunApplication "SynchDateTime.exe".

See the help file for details.

Re: RSView32

Allen Nelson said:
(I don't have RSView32 loaded on this machine, so the following is from memory).

There is a separate CD for RSView32 that loads the "Application Toolkit" One of the tools in the toolklit is an app called "SynchDateTime.exe" You will create tags in RSView which communicate with the Date/Time registers (S:40, etc.), and enter these tags into the utility.

You then create an Event (in Event Detector) that triggers once a day, or at whatever frequency you want. The Action of this event will RunApplication "SynchDateTime.exe".

See the help file for details.

OK, will try it out. So it's basically as what "jimbo3123" did, just that we do not need to write an Event/marco.