UL standards for a panel in a C1D2 location

kchap

Hello folks. I have a panel project that, as I understand it, will require UL labeling, and the more I look into UL standards, the more I think that I am in over my head (not with the panel itself, but with the UL label).

The project is a Z-purged NEMA 4X stainless panel with a PanelView Plus 7 Performance HMI mounted in the door. The panel will be mounted on the equipment, which will be installed in a Class 1 Div 2 location...in California.

From what I have read, California has very strict regulations governing electrical installations, one of which is approval by a NRTL. I started looking into UL approval and found that if all my ducks are in a row, I can have a UL certified panel shop inspect the panel and apply their label to it. My problem is finding a panel shop with the correct certification. I have been unable to even find which UL standard applies in this situation. UL698A seems to govern only panels installed in a safe location that have intrinsically safe circuits extending into a hazardous location. In the case of my current project, the panel will be installed within the hazardous location.

At this point, I just need to know what UL standard(s) governs this project. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am pretty sure you will be looking for a shop that has NNNY certifications. There is also NRBX that covers panels in Explosive areas. I used to have these certifications too but have sense moved on.

You can also call UL and have a Field Inspection done on your panel. A UL Inspector will come out and if everything meets the standard he will put a UL label on the panel.

UL listed panels are governed by UL508A.
You cannot build this panel and get it certified by a ul shop unless the rules have changed. to become a ul panel shop requires a lot of paperwork.
there are lot's of details involved in building a ul listed panel, I would try to find one. I know of a ul panel shop in West Tennessee if it helps, I haven't been in contact with them in several years.

the next problem that I see is you have the panelview terminal in a z purged panel, the terminal is not rated for a zpurge system, the display can break. Check with AB to see if the ratings have changed in the last 6 years.

regards,
james

You can not do it yourself you need someone certified.

UL-508A
NFPA 70

Each part in the panel needs to be UL as well. Just a quick question about your purge system: is the gas heavier or lighter than air? This effects how it should be mounted.

I would suggest hiring a panel shop in California, there are a few other idiosyncrasies that exist out here, local panel shops know them all. There are shops that will just build the panel to your design and let you take care of all the programming etc. Northern or Southern CA?

I would suggest hiring a panel shop in California, there are a few other idiosyncrasies that exist out here, local panel shops know them all. There are shops that will just build the panel to your design and let you take care of all the programming etc. Northern or Southern CA?

It will be going to the bay area. I am chest deep in the project at this point, so it is too late to have another shop do it. It is a simple panel, so hopefully it should not be TOO big of an ordeal. That said, any heads-up on California's idiosyncrasies would be most welcomed!

I found the information I was looking for in regard to which UL standard applies (NNNY in this case). I have opted for a field evaluation, and I also have 508A and 698A certs on my radar screen.

the next problem that I see is you have the panelview terminal in a z purged panel, the terminal is not rated for a zpurge system, the display can break. Check with AB to see if the ratings have changed in the last 6 years.

regards,
james

That has long been a point of debate. To my knowledge, there is no rating that applies to a HMI mounted in a purged/pressurized enclosure (aside from a HazLoc rating). Rockwell advises against it, but I think that is more of a CYA kind of thing, because as you said, the screens can bulge and break. However I suspect that would be due to over-pressurization. There are quite a few being used in this kind of application where I work, and no one in our EE group has ever had a problem with them.