16#0002 Resource unavailable

Howdy.

Have compact Logix with a SM-2 module installed, talking MODBUS out all three channels to various aftermarket devices. Been in and working rock solid for several months.

Recent torrential rains have caused issues, underground comms cables failed, in turn failing aftermarket MODBUS devices. Over a few days of testing and replacing both cable and devices, all appeared to be working again, then without warning all MODBUS comms stopped.

Error:

16#0002: Resource unavailable.

I cannot seem to get it to work, I have (accidentally) put PLC into Program mode then back to Run mode, no help. I am waiting for after hours to be able to cycle power to entire system.

In the meantime, would anybody have any tips on what to look for/do?

Thanks.

Well, turns out a hard power cycle fixed it. Can't explain, but suspect something along the lines of a few days generating errors and the poor machine said ENOUGH!

I've not seen any sign of those torrential rains you speak of around these parts. You're not a Queenslander in disguise are you?

That error code and message has a few entries in the knowledgebase, but all of them would seem to apply to something that was incorrectly set up from the get go and would never have worked. In your situation I'd have done exactly as you described - cycled the power, shrugged, and chalked it up to a magic smoke error.