GE Series One loses program

Rick Densing

I have a customer that has an old series one PLC. They say that is loses the program on power-down and a new battery did not help. I am not familiar with the unit. I figured it must be board level and they will have to get it repaired or replaced. I found some houses that will do that. Any other thoughts on what might be wrong?

First off, the modular GE Series 1 is now the AutomationDirect.com DL-305, so you may be able to get service and parts from them. You may have a loose connection on the unit, because there is supposed to be a capacitor that will hold the program for weeks (at least on the newer 305's).

New wrinkle- the have replaced the CPU and it still loses the program. I am thinking that the backplane or the power supply is the culprit. I suggested that they pull the cpu and see if it still loses the program while disconnected.

What does "lose the program" mean? Are they actually viewing the program for lost ladder or does the machine simply not work? Maybe all you are missing are data registers.:confused:

You don't have this CPU set for UVPROM, do you?

Excerpts DL305 manual:

Installing the optional UVPROM or EEPROM in the DL340 CPU

Complete the following steps to install the optional memory.
1. Disconnect the power from the base and allow approximately 60 seconds
for the capacitor to discharge before removing the CPU.
2. Disconnect the battery wires from the CPU.
3. Align the UVPROM/EEPROM notch with the IC socket notch on the CPU.
4. Carefully insert the UVPROM/EEPROM into the IC socket.
5. Set dipswitch SW1, bit 1 and the short Jumpers N/C – 4 for the option you
have installed.
6. Reconnect the battery wires to the CPU.
utoh

I have seen a case where a machine uses 24v from plc. On machine powerdown it actually shorts the plc power supply and causes the proc to lose its prog. The fix was to use an external 24v power supply instead of the proc. Don't know if this can happen with that brand of plc. And the machine hasn't had that prob before but sometimes its the obvious that gets overlooked. Was there any code or mach mods done?

If the power fails on an expansion rack this can cause the CPU to fault, maybe that is what is happening.

Series ONE

I have a customer that own a Serie ONE PLC.

The CPU is a IC610CPU104C.

We want to get a copy of the software inside the CPU Memory.

Do anybody know how can we do this?

Br

Roger Flores

Roger,

There are a couple of ways to do this and none are easy.

For a hard copy:

1) Get a D3-HP from AutomationDirect.com and copy the ladder by hand.

2) Get a D3-232-DCU and D3-DSCBL-1 from AutomationDirect.com and find someone with a copy of GE Logicmaster software (this is very old DOS based tuff.)

3) Get Directsoft programming software, a D3-330 cpu, a D3-HP, a D3-232-DCU and D3-DSCBL-1 from AutomationDirect.com as well as a cassette player, transfer the program to tape, reload into the D3-330 cpu and connect with Directsoft and print it off.

To just back it up on tape:

1) Get a D3-HP from AutomationDirect.com as well as a cassette player then transfer the program to tape.

You can use the handheld programmer to step through the program one instruction at a time and transcribe the instructions by hand. The handheld is available from Automation Direct as part number D3-HP.

There is also DOS-based software from GE Fanuc called Logicmaster One and from Texas Instruments called TISoft. I don't know if either of them are available from distributors any more. You could try eBay. For either of these programming software packages, you also need a Data Communications unit connected to the CPU. The Automation Direct part number is D3-232-DCU.

Suggestion:

You can buy a "Brick" version of Diresoft just for the Series One/DL305 line (much cheaper than full package).

Also try Ebay for Series One programmers and DCU units etc.