Fire Repair Problems

Tim Ganz

We had a fire in a control panel that had a micrologix 1200 and management wants us to put a SLC system in because we have a pallet of them from machines we got rid of.

Tried to convert program but got many errors so we are doing a lot of it in manual mode.

We were using the CPW instruction in the micrologix but it's not in the SLC so what can we use.

Also we were using the RCP instruction also what could we use in it's place.

Use COP in place of CPW.

RCP is not supported by the 1200, only the 1400 and the 1500 series C. Sure you got the right source code?

Regardless, there is not an equivalent in the SLC for RCP, you'll have to roll your own.

Use COP in place of CPW.

RCP is not supported by the 1200, only the 1400 and the 1500 series C. Sure you got the right source code?

Regardless, there is not an equivalent in the SLC for RCP, you'll have to roll your own.

Checking with my coworker you are correct it is a 1500 not 1200.

Does the COP instruction work the same way the CPW does? Reading the description of both I am having trouble determining what the difference is but it has to be something or they would not have 2 different instructions.

What will be the gotcha to look for when converting the CPW logic to COP?

What is a good roll your own method to replace the RCP?

We are moving the program to SLC and in the original program they are using the CPW to copy Integers to floats and floats to integers as well as copy integers to Binary words B files.

So it sounds like we can't use COP in the SLC to handle this? What else can we do?

His machine does not have comments only electrical drawings so I have documented the input and output points with that but I don't know the thought behind the file copies so it will be tough to redesign them. Hopefully there is another way?

Instead of forking out $1k for a 1200 processor? The labour cost alone to mess with code would cover that. .. silly management.

It's also because everything else here is SLC and what caught fire was 1 of only 2 micrologix in the plant. The other is a 10 point micrologix 1000.

Probably stuck with a series of MOV instructions in the case of integer to binary. The integer to float and float to integer is another problem, you'll have to figure out what he was trying to do and possibly use some math instructions to do the conversion.

Probably some other tricks, but I don't recall downgrading a newer ML to an older SLC so I haven't chased any to see. Definitely going to want to set up a test bed to see if the work-around achieves the required result.

When manually converting logic from one processor to another it is never effective to attempt a rung-for-rung translation or conversion.

Learn the tools for the processor at hand and write the logic based on a good sequence of operations of the process or machine to be controlled. You will be ahead in the long run, even if going backwards.

Which model of SLC processor are you using? The COP instruction in the SLC should let you copy between different data types.

Keith

We have SLC 5/04 and 5/05 and can use either one but I started converting to the 5/05 just because it has Ethernet and is easier to connect to because some of our laptops don't have serial ports.