FactoryTalk View SE odd countdown timer problem

cocsbob

I did not create the program but I have a weird countdown timer problem. it is user input, say it is set for 5 minutes; it will countdown to 1:30, then jumps up to 2:30 then when it gets back to 1:30 it jumps to 0:30 and finishes the timer. watching the RSLogix program online it operates correctly.
edit: the RSLogix timer reads 3:00 and the FactoryTalk timer reads 4:00 are off one minute, also when the timer starts at 5 minutes, it immediately jumps to 6.

Last edited:
It looks like the minutes are the result of a standard division of the remaining seconds with a rounded result.
Are the minutes and second broken out in the PLC then combined for display or is the conversion being done in the FT program? Which model of AB PLC is it?

Last edited:
Yes the minutes and seconds are being broken out in PLC then combined in factory talk for display on HMI. the PLC is 1756-L61

Either the math in the PLC or HMI is flawed....Post the ladder rung that is creating the minutes and seconds.

I have attached a screen shot of all the ladder rungs for "logic", I do not know how to post the rung itself.
The operator inputs the countdown time. I watched the program and HMI at same time, the PLC works just fine, the HMI is messed up.

this is the FactoryTalk HMI tag for the countdown timer display:
time to start /*N:2 #16 ZEROFILL DP:0*/ : /*N:2 #17 ZEROFILL DP:0*/ (mm:ss)

thank you for assisting in this.

countdown timer.jpg

So, by the #16 and #17, it looks like you are passing a parameter or parameter file to the display. Have you looked at the parameters to make sure the correct tag is being passed? Make sure they are pointed to the INT/DINTs above, and not the intermediate REALS, as that could be causing round up. Also, what if any scaling is applied to those tags in the HMI?

I believe you are correct, I am not in position to make changes today as the process is running but these are the parameter tags. I believe they miss tagged #16, it should be: #16={[PLC_C]FCSV01.DUR_MINS_LEFT} not ... TIME_LEFT_MINS as they have it; the LEFT_MINS is the pre-truncated number

#16={[PLC_C]FCSV01.DUR_TIME_LEFT_MINS}
#17={[PLC_C]FCSV01.DUR_TIME_LEFT_secs}

also, are tags case sensitive? because #17 the _secs on the tag but in the program is _SECS

I really do appreciate all the help

Changing the tag name did the trick. Thank y'all for all the assistance and pointers on this issue.

Peace be with you.
Bob