BSL RSlogix 500 to studio 5000 help and S:1/0?

bdb1324

So I used the migration tool for converting RSlogix 500 to Studio 5000 and the resulting came out. See attached png files.

I am having trouble wrapping my head around an easier was to convert this. I understand RSlogix uses an INT 16bit and studio 5000 uses a DINT 32 bit.

Thanks for any info on a better solution.

rsxlogix500.PNG studio5000.PNG

Sometimes... its just easier to rewrite it all and modernize code.

I've used the conversion tool once because we were adding a really simple system onto an existing PLC. Converted it and put it in a timed routine and never looked at it again but it was a really simple system.

Other conversions usually I just figure out what it should be doing and modernize with AOIs.

Last edited:
Agreed my biggest problem is I have used rxlogix 500 mostly and updating to studio I have gaps in understanding the changes. Or finding easy to understand documentation.

Like getting rid of the M0 and M1 tables and finding a proper way to address that in studio 5000 or finding anything on HSC modules has been tough as well.

I think, S:1/0 is the processor status that denotes program mode for SLC.

So, rung 91 just shifts the bits in the file B13:0 without modifying any of the bits in it.

Use this analogy to rewrite your shift register in 5K, don't make your life miserable using the conversion tool.

Same situation happens in rung 93, which is supporting rung 92

Regards

Is there a way to reference that in studio 5000? (S:1/0) It was a 1746 series programmed using Rslogix 500.

for the BSL going to DINT 32 bits. To convert this from RSlogix 500 to Studio 5000. In the program, they use B13[0] for example.

If I see B13[1].2 I would change that to B13[0].18 and so forth throughout the program?

Would length need to change at all? or is length just being 2048 just referencing the number of bits?

I also wanted to thank everyone so far for their input it is very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Create an 'Always_Off' bit to replace the S:1/0

See the attached image, I hope you understand it, as SLC is 16 bit per word while Logix is 32 bits, you need only half the size for your array

Regards

Edit: My mistake, - the length in the BSL still remains as 2048, only the number of words in the array reduces

BSL.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, Chavak. Yeah, I guess since it will be in run mode it will always be off at least for what they are using it for. Thanks for that.

I searched for status values on Rockwell and only came up with a few that are listed in the general instruction manual.

I think there would have to be this value somewhere because SIL applications require the processor in Run mode only, and aren't supposed to operate in Remote Run (at least per my understanding of the SIL requirements, maybe I am remembering wrong?)

For ControlLogix SIL applications you monitor the key position, (has to be in run), not the cpu status. You can detect the key is in remote, but not that is in run mode. There is a fault bit you can monitor, but I don't recall a run bit. For SIL applications, there a list of items that have to be monitored.

Then the OP would just have to monitor that key position.

ON & PLC scanning the posted routine = Remote Run
OFF & PLC still scanning = Run
PLC in Program = No Bi Shifting