Problem with unexpected movement Kinetix 7000 drive

Mike R

We have a tissue Embosser which uses AB Kinetix 7000 drives and HPK servo motors. This particular fault concerns a 2099-BM07-S drive controlling a HPK-B1307C-SA42AA motor.

We are having a problem when starting the machine whereby one of the axis moves (apparently) as soon as the drive is enabled.

It seems as if the drive is given the MSO command and then, the motor starts to move instantly, but it is not being given a command to move at this point as far as I'm aware, so the position error increases until it breaches the position error limit and the drive faults on E19 Position Error. This all happens almost instantaneously.

Fortunately, the machine does not have to have the roll drive, it runs against roll and so we have disabled the drive for the affected roll. Ideally it would run under its own power to speed match the other roll which improves the roll cover life.

We have the problem with this axis regardless of whether the drive belt to the roll is connected or not, so it is not the load turning the motor, it is definitely a motor/drive issue

This problem occurs the instant the drive is enabled, it seems to be at the point the Bus lamp goes from flashing green to solid green (which as I said above, I believe is when the MSO command is given).

I set up a trend to monitor command position, actual position, command velocity, actual velocity & position error. You can see the motor turn as the position and velocity feedback changes, but there is no commanded position or velocity and you can see the position error increase.

It just seems like the drive is giving the motor a 'kick' when its enabled.

We had RA in and they just wanted to tune the drive, but it could not complete the Autotune. It also could only complete 2 or the 3 hookup tests (marker pulse and feedback tests, the command and feedback test failed, although it didn't tell us what it failed on). Their engineer left suggesting that we change the motor, but the motor is new (we changed it when we first started having the problem) and it has never run in anger. We have also changed the drive and finally the encoder cable but we still have the same issue. Only thing not changed is the motor power cable.

Any thoughts? I can not work out if its some kind of problem on the power supply or a motion control issue. None of the other motors have the same issue, so assume its motion control problem on this axis, but the machine never used to have this issue either, so something is different.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. May take a while to get back as sorting this out is not a priority job at the moment.

Many thanks,

Michael.

I take it this is a new installation
speed command is at 0
I have this right as the error increases the motor speed also increases until the excess follower error trips and stops the drive.
it sounds like the motor feedback encoder is reversed
thy switching the A _B Channels
motor encoder A connected to drive encoder feedback B
motor encoder not A connected to drive encoder feedback Not B
motor encoder B connected to drive encoder feedback A
motor encoder not B connected to drive encoder feedback Not A

let us know how you make out

Finally sorted this.

The motor had been changed a year previously (November 2018) and had been wired wrong, 2 phases reversed so trying to go backwards.

Feel stupid!