Check ethernet node status in RSlogix

bubbagumper6

Is there an easy way to basically "ping" various ethernet nodes in RSlogix? I have a small automation cell with various cameras and barcode readers that communicate directly with my robot (so they are not configured in the RSLogix hardware tree) and I would like to display their node communication status on the HMI. In the past I've done this via a Hirshmann ethernet switch and reading the port status but this time we're using a Cisco IE-2000 switch and I cannot find any information on reading port status on it. So I was wondering if maybe there was a way to use the MSG instruction to just send a generic "Are you alive" kind of message directly to an IP address and just getting back some kind of pass/fail result.

Processor is a 1769-L33ER
Software version is 30.11

If the devices support EtherNet/IP, I've done this by sending a MSG command to execute a CIP Generic message to read Class 1, Instance 1, Attribute 1 (the Vendor ID).

Because the Identity Object (Class 0x01) is mandatory, EtherNet/IP devices always respond to it.

I don't know of a way to literally do an ICMP PING with ControlLogix, but you could modify the Generic Sockets code to attempt a TCP connection to whatever TCP ports are open and operating on those devices (like 80 for a HTTP webpage, or 502 for Modbus/TCP).

Old thread but it looks like it’s along the same lines of what I’m attempting to do. I am trying to configure a cip generic message to monitor whether a nematron hmi is online or not. Just looking for some kind of status. I am getting connection timeout errors but I can ping the device. Any help?????

Can you put the HMI in the IO tree/configuration of the CLX? You can interrogate any ethernet device in the IO tree using the GSV Module EntryStatus instruction.

Can you put the HMI in the IO tree/configuration of the CLX? You can interrogate any ethernet device in the IO tree using the GSV Module EntryStatus instruction.
No I haven’t been able to make that happen either. Tried as a generic device and there was no connection. Same with the message. I’m kind of stumped.

You say you can ping the nematron from your PC, and I'm guessing ping the PLC also from your PC. But are the nematron and PLC physically connected to the same network? How is the nematron connected to the PLC and is the ENxt module on the same subnet?

Since an L83 has on board ethernet, are you sure you're pinging the right device from your PC? Just covering bases. If your en2t is connected to your nematron, but you're pinging the L83 port, then that would give false confidence of connectivity. And vice versa.

I tried the message through the plc port and the en2t. I don’t recall the code but 0206 sounds about right. Sorry I stepped away from the computer for the evening.