Rockwell Automation Safety-Will a TLS-ZGD2 Locking Switch work with a 440C-CR30 Relay

Rob S.

Good Afternoon ,

I putting a Rockwell Automation Safety System. I was wondreing if a
TLS-Z GD2 Guard Locking Switch would work well with a 440C-CR30-22 BBB
Safety Relay that is programmed with CCW software.

Using the 440C-CR30 , can you only use one device , such as a Guard Locking Switch , Light Curtain , etc. or can use multiples ? I imagine you can just add modules to it , correct ?

Thanks so much for your help ,

What do you mean by just add modules exactly? Yes you can add modules but they are NON safety rated. All of the safety channels have to fit on the embedded points. This varies because some are input only, output only, or multipurpose. The expansion modules vary, the one I use the most has 4 in and 4 relay out. I typically only use the add in module for feedback and status.

I meant to say you can use a combination of safety devises. Light curtains, locking switches, non contact safety switches, e-stops, limits etc. You are not confined to a single safety device, you can series safety devices if you needed on channels.

There is a number of ways this unit could be configured and wired depending on what all safety devices are involved and the requirements. Also a good number of wiring examples throughout the manuals for different devices.

I will stay away from 440C-CR30. Never had long term luck with it. Maybe it's just me.

But when I recently saw it in a , "devices to be avoided" list of a user specification, I thought, oh man, it is not just me o_O

I will stay away from 440C-CR30. Never had long term luck with it. Maybe it's just me.

But when I recently saw it in a , "devices to be avoided" list of a user specification, I thought, oh man, it is not just me o_O

For dry contacts and light curtains they work well. All else is a **** shoot. I will say that playing with discrepancy time is almost a must. There aren’t any devices on the market that can consistently meet the dual channel on off that the device requires from default.

I have a lot of machines that have them. The beauty is in the zoning that you can do. If I was making a second system from the ground up I would pick a different platform. Mainly because once your out of points your pretty much SOL without some creative thinking. Other manufacturers that have programmable relays have based theirs with a processor and expandable modules, which is the way to go. More and more I am finding that specs are being written prohibiting safety devices in series. For that reason expansion is a must.

I have used 7 of these on different projects. It always ends up becoming maxed out. Like others have said there is a limited amount of safety I/O. The expansion is non-safe.
Basically have an 1 estop chain, 1 door chain and 1 other chain and thats it if they are dual channel.
Yes it is configurable but there are only a set amount, it almost seems like when im done i have more non safety I/O than safety I/O coming off my safety controller.

I have now switched to using (Pilz multi) which is expandable, for the extra $200 or so. Because thats the last thing you want to have to do is add safety relays on top of your safety PLC. Which i have been forced to do because of add ons.