Automationdirect productivity PLC?

blperkins

Hello,

I have a new customer that wants to retrofit a packaging line that is currently running a keyence PLC. It is a pretty simple process, basically a series of air solenoid valves, a couple DC drives, and a single VFD for the main drive.

The click PLC could do the job. But, I am interested in trying the productivity PLC. I downloaded the software, it looks promising.

Anyone, else used the productivity line? Any pitfalls you ran into?

I have about a dozen 2000's here, the only issue I have with them is that they are susceptible to power spikes, but that is easily cured by using an AC Line filter ahead of them, and powering the racks from the 24VDC rack power supply fed from a decent 24V power supply.

The ones that I have the spike problem with do not have isolation transformers, and are fed directly from the nearest 120VAC panel. I still go the route of using a 24VDC supply to the racks anyway now.

The only other thing I don't like about them, is that they don't actually keep the path to the processor as part of the program, so every time you go online, you have to select the processor. Not paying attention, it is entirely possible to download the program you have open to the wrong processor over Ethernet.

Aside from that, I've had no issues with them, and have had them in service for a couple of years now.

I've done one machine build with a 2000 around 2 years ago and have another for test bench stuff. All in all it has worked great and the software has been updated with new features since then. Only gripes with the software was the lack of rung wrapping, so you would have to scroll over constantly if you had too long of a rung. Hopefully they have or will fix this some day.

I've also had an issue with using the updated software to connect to programs written in older versions. On their website there is a warning that doing so could potentially break your project. That indeed happened when I tried it. No changes were made but after downloading with the new version my machine behaved all types of strange. Ended up having to reload the project with an older version to get it working again. Something to keep in mind.

I've also had an issue with using the updated software to connect to programs written in older versions...
Make it a habit to check and update firmware whenever you log in to a system. Updates are easy. Just keep the latest "all in one" update file on your laptop.

I've done about 30 systems with 2000's.

One of my favorite go to's if a control/compact logix isn't needed for the job.
I would consider using the Productivity platform instead of the CompactLogix if the Productivity software had UDTs.

Make it a habit to check and update firmware whenever you log in to a system. Updates are easy. Just keep the latest "all in one" update file on your laptop.

I've done about 30 systems with 2000's.

Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind. I never really put any effort into resolving the issue because I didn't have any reason why I needed to use the updated software. Just was curious about some of the new features they had added.

I would consider using the Productivity platform instead of the CompactLogix if the Productivity software had UDTs.

This would make them a serious player then!

I use CCW for this very purpose on smaller machines that need less than a Logix PLC. I get the economy model of PLC but I still get to use User Defined. I don't how one can create a large project without the structure of User Defined.

I don't how one can create a large project without the structure of User Defined.
I know how: you need to create hundred of tags instead of a few dozen!
I've seen RSLogix 5000 programs with 600+ tags, just because the creator didn't care or didn't know how to work with UDTs.o_O