CCW-What is the latest version?Is there a purchased version more robust and detailed?

Good Afternoon ,

I have the free version of CCW. Version 11. What is the latest version ?
Also , is there a version that is purchased that is more detailed and robust ?

It just seems like Version 11 is very cumbersome. If there is a purchased version , is it more detailed and straight forward ?

Trying to download to a PowerFlex 753 and it will not work. I can do a compare to the drive , able to communicate doing the compare , but I cannot do a download , upload or connect .

Have you all had those issues before ?

Thanks so much in advance ,

I had a lot of issues... but that was in the early days, they are on 12 now and its getting better forsure

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/9328-pp001_-en-p.pdf

They do have the free and developer version look on the bottom of the pdf, you need to buy it through your local AB supplier

Standard Edition
Common, easy-to-use configuration and
programming tool for a Rockwell Automation®
Micro Control System. Includes demo version
of Micro800™ Simulator.

Developer Edition
Standard plus additional features including
full version of Micro800 Simulator and Archive
Manager, as well as extensive Micro800 controller
programming capabilities for an enhanced user
experience.

I have the free and it works fine for me

Does CCW use RS Linx ? I'm surprised there is not an option like RS Who , or be able to "Drill " down to the device to download.

I'm able to go online with the PowerFlex 753 enough to compare , but I cannot go online to ......

Upload
Download
Synchronize
Connect

Any thoughts ?

Thanks so much ,

I'm not sure if this is available in version 11 and earlier but 12 have a "Theme" setting where you can select either "Default" or "Logix". In Logix mode it mimics RSLogix software more than when in Default mode although it has been moving that way for some time now. CCW is certainly better than it was a few years ago and will continue to improve as the SLC/MicroLogix products fade off into the sunset.

Baker in Virginia said:
Does CCW use RS Linx ?...

Yes.

The fact you are asking suggests you have not verified a valid communications path to the drive in RSLinx Classic. How are you physically connecting to the drive (1203-USB, EtherNet/IP adapter, etc.)? This will tell us which driver in RSLinx Classic you need to use to establish a proper communications path. The fact you mention being able to "...go online with the PowerFlex 753 enough to compare...", suggests you must have "some" communications path established?

Regards,
George

Thanks for responding . My Powerflex 753 is connected by Ethernet .,I didn't have a HIM , so I used Boot-P to set the IP Address , and RS Linx to set the Subnet . Like I said , I'm able to drill down to the drive in CCW and do a compare . I just can't connect , download , or upload .

Is the drive connected to a PLC as well?

In my experience, I would have to put the PLC in program mode before I could go online with a drive. It’s something to do with device ownership. If it’s a stand alone drive, then I would suggest upgrading to v12. Version 11 was buggy for me.

Is the drive connected to a PLC as well?

In my experience, I would have to put the PLC in program mode before I could go online with a drive. It’s something to do with device ownership. If it’s a stand alone drive, then I would suggest upgrading to v12. Version 11 was buggy for me.

Version 11 is what I'm using now. Using it a lot! No issues that I have seen. Its probably the most stable version yet. I just haven't jumped to 12 yet cause I know that as soon as I do, 13 will come. I'm just waiting for that. It seems to be a yearly thing now.

Any body else notice that if your online with a PLC in CCW, you have no objects available in your toolbox to work on a PV screen? Click offline and they come available again. Just odd thing Iv noticed lately. I'm not sure if it was that way in a previous version but one project I just finished was acting this way when I went to make a small change. Its not something I noticed before.

Does CCW use RS Linx ? I'm surprised there is not an option like RS Who , or be able to "Drill " down to the device to download.

I'm able to go online with the PowerFlex 753 enough to compare , but I cannot go online to ......

What driver are you using in RSLinx? mine show up in RS Who

linx.png

Baker in Virginia said:
Thanks for responding . My Powerflex 753 is connected by Ethernet...I'm able to drill down to the drive in CCW and do a compare . I just can't connect , download , or upload .

OK, so you're using the ETHIP driver then I assume?

As a preliminary check, if you open RSLinx Classic and browse your ETHIP driver, you should be able to see the PowerFlex 753 drive active with no icon overlay (red x, yellow ?, etc.). If so, then we definitely know you have a valid communications path.

In CCW, when you select "Compare", and then "Compare to Online", the "Connection Browser" popup window should open. You then drill down through your ETHIP driver to select your drive. You are saying that this "Compare to Online" option is working as you are able to browse to the drive and perform the compare successfully, yes?

If so, then this also confirms the "preliminary check" I mentioned above.

Also, check what communications path is displayed in CCW up under the "Connect" button. This should reflect the same valid path you are selecting for the "Compare" or when using RSLinx Classic to browse to the drive.

Moving on...

Baker in Virginia said:
...I'm surprised there is not an option like RS Who , or be able to "Drill " down to the device to download.

The CCW "Connection Browser" popup window I mentioned above is an RSLinx Classic "RSWho" session. CCW just calls it "Connection Browser" because, well, it just does.

In CCW, when you select "Connect", the same "Connection Browser" popup window should open - does it?

When you select "Download" (or "Upload"), the "Connection Browser" popup window should also open - does it? (It sounds like you are saying it does not?)

Note: you must be disconnected from the drive in CCW before you can perform a "Download". (I know you are disconnected as you currently cannot connect - that advice is for future reference).

However, you should be able to "Connect" to the drive, even while it is running under the ownership of a controller. Among other things, this allows you to monitor the drive while running.

If the "Connection Browser" popup window is only opening for you when you perform a "Compare", and not for "Connect" or "Download", then something is indeed amiss here?

You could also try the "Device" drop down menu at the top?

I'm looking for info on your specific issue but finding nothing so far.
So I'm not sure if we can rule in or out yet your version having anything to do with this?

Regards,
George

Geospark

Thanks for the helpful information and questions.

In CCW, when you select "Compare", and then "Compare to Online", the "Connection Browser" popup window should open. You then drill down through your ETHIP driver to select your drive. You are saying that this "Compare to Online" option is working as you are able to browse to the drive and perform the compare successfully, yes?

Yes , I'm able to do a compare from the drive , it uploads and I can see the differences from the project and the live drive.

In CCW, when you select "Connect", the same "Connection Browser" popup window should open - does it?

No it does not. It just sets there spinning and saying Connect - Waiting for Device

I may try to install version 12. It is just so strange.

Thanks

Just got off Chat with Rockwell. Below is what I was doing wrong , if any of you need to know or pass along. Thanks for you help.

Rockwell Automation
The Connected Components Workbench retains the last used communication path settings and even if you select a different path in RSLinx Classic RSWho it may revert to using the previously used saved path which may not be a valid path for communications. You may see a message that states waiting for device in this case when the old path information is being used. To correct this, clear the previously used saved communication path information and then you can select a new path.

1. Click on the blue information icon to the right of the I/P address.
2. The Direct Module Path will be displayed.
3. Click on clear path.
4. You will now be able to browse to the desired component and configure new path