CCW-What is the latest version?Is there a purchased version more robust and detailed?

Baker in Virginia said:
Just got off Chat with Rockwell. Below is what I was doing wrong , if any of you need to know or pass along. Thanks for you help.

Rockwell Automation
The Connected Components Workbench retains the last used communication path settings and even if you select a different path in RSLinx Classic RSWho it may revert to using the previously used saved path which may not be a valid path for communications. You may see a message that states waiting for device in this case when the old path information is being used. To correct this, clear the previously used saved communication path information and then you can select a new path.

1. Click on the blue information icon to the right of the I/P address.
2. The Direct Module Path will be displayed.
3. Click on clear path.
4. You will now be able to browse to the desired component and configure new path

I'm glad you got sorted but had you also answered me this...

Geospark said:
...Also, check what communications path is displayed in CCW up under the "Connect" button. This should reflect the same valid path you are selecting for the "Compare" or when using RSLinx Classic to browse to the drive...

...where it did not look correct, then I was primed to provide you with this solution...

730071 | Date Created: 08/27/2015 | Last Updated: 11/26/2018
Access Level: Everyone

...which, would you believe, is exactly what Rockwell provided.

Still, I'm really glad you got sorted.

Advice going forward...

I do go into detail in my posts, I know, but it's usually for a very good reason, with hopefully sound thinking behind it all. So, where you or anyone really does want to maximize my assistance, do try to consider all the details I provide and answer all enquires I make.

I hope you weren't long in the phone cue? :p

I also like to try help others I might notice along the way who may be a bit off with their otherwise valid thinking...

seth350 said:
...Is the drive connected to a PLC as well?

In my experience, I would have to put the PLC in program mode before I could go online with a drive. It’s something to do with device ownership

There are certain functions you cannot perform on a running, controller owned drive, but simply going online, or "connecting" is not one of them. I won't get too detailed, but I did mention previously, and on purpose in relation to your above thinking...

Geospark said:
...However, you should be able to "Connect" to the drive, even while it is running under the ownership of a controller. Among other things, this allows you to monitor the drive while running...

One of the main functions of the "Connect" option is to allow the monitoring of the running drive so we can, for example, check the loading of the drive while running, or the internal temperature, etc. This of course would usually require the drive and controller to be fully functioning and not in Program Mode, or Inhibited, or the like. We can also, on a running system, Connect and perform a Compare, or a full Upload of the drive parameters into the open project.

So, likewise for our friend's case here, the controller would not need to be placed in Program Mode just to attempt to "Connect". Now, to attempt to Download to a running drive, is another matter. You must, as I mentioned earlier, be first disconnected from the drive in software. Once you select Download, you will still see the "Connection Browser" popup window open, which was not happening for Baker in Virginia.

After you select a valid communications path and click OK, you should then be prompted that the Download will be destructive, or words to that effect. But you may still proceed, even though there may be an active I/O connection between the drive and a controller. You may see some errors as the Download progresses, and can choose to abort, but you can also choose to ignore these and carry on. But as good practice, you should first Inhibit the I/O connect via the drive module definition and also place the controller in Program Mode before starting the Download.

But with a valid communications path to a supported drive, you should always be allowed to at minimum "Connect" (go online) to the running drive using any of the various software options.

Regards,
George