Networking Micrologix 1200 PLC trainers

taknevs

Hello everyone,
I am relatively new in PLCs. I have 2 PLC trainers (one having Micrologix 1200 series A and the other Micrologix 1200 series C). I have a RS 232 cable for each trainer to its corresponding PC.

Problem: I have to network these two trainers using a single workstation. The softwares I have are RSLogix 500 and RSLinx. When I open RSWho, I see AB_DF1-1, DH485 as network name. Its properties: AB_DF1-1 as device name and device SLC-CH0\Micro\PanelView with full duplex protocol.

What should I do or buy to network these two trainers, I am looking for the cost-effective solution. I have visited the Allen-Bradley website and am lost in the manuals section. Again as I told before, I am new to this field.

Regards,
Taknevs
(grad student)

RS-232 is really a one to one communications scheme, and does not usually cope well with multi-drop systems. You need to use an Allen Bradley AIC+ unit to multidrop the PLCs. This is essentially an RS-485 network which can cope with multi-drop.

Hi again,
Thanks for the help. So what I need is individual AIC units for the PLCs and PC and a hub for the DH-485 network, correct?

regards,
taknevs

Close, but not quite. The AIC has one RS-485 port, and two RS 232 ports. So, you can use two AIC's. One AIC will use both RS232 ports, one of which will connect to the ML-1200 and the other to the PC. One AIC will connect to the ML-1200. The 485 terminals on each AIC will be connected to each other.

Now that you have some better info, perhaps you can locate the manual at ab.com by searching on AIC+