GUI(editor) for PLC programming...

s_viswesh

Hi,

In windows based GUI for PLC programming I have noticed that some of the softwares represent the ladder diagram
as multiple pages, each page with a predefined number of rungs. For example if a PLC program has 100 rungs, it is
represented in 10 pages with 10 rung in each page. The other approach is ofcourse to present all 100 rungs in a
single window with a scroll bar. The main advantage of this multiple page approach is that we can view multiple
parts of the program at the same time I think. Any other pros & cons of the above two approaches?
Iam developing an editor for PLC programs using Java Swing. Wondering which approach is more common.

regards
viswesh

I hate the page approach - the only ones I know of still using it are Modicon. For them it is for backward compatibility with their original program structure.

a third approach

Another approach which I rather liked (Hitachi S10 ladder) was the ability to split a window into more than one pane so you could simultaneously observe more than one area in the nest (read nest as "ladder file").

But this was one of the few very good features of this program :^(

I am happy with the RSLogix approach. A single scroll window for each subroutine, Tabs to select subroutines, and the window is splittable for two views of the same sub.

Versa-Pro by GE is similar. I haven't used it enough to really decide which is better.

I've got the reverse situation on that one Rick. I have used VersaPro a lot and RSlogix a little.

Overall I would say I like RSLogix better but VersaPro has some features which I like over RSLogix. VersaPro is slowly being replaced by Cimplicity Machine Edition which looks even more like RSLogix in my opinion. I haven't used ME that much so I can't comment on it.

The split windows are definately nice as well as the ability to set up watch windows for whatever registers you want.