Port conflict after autoconfigure in RSLinx

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I am trying to connect via RS-232 port to a SLC-5/03. I get it to autoconfig in RSlinx while creating the driver however, it then pops up an alert that reads, "RSLinx Classic has failed to configure the com port!". I select Ok, status shows running however, it says "Port Conflict" to the right of the driver name. I am using a Keyspan USA-19HS (same one I have used for many years now), using Windows 11. Since I have no other serial device connected to it, what would the port conflict be? I have serial connected many times over the years and have never seen this come up. I no longer have a tech agreement with AB.

Huh, here's something else: In device mgr I changed it to com port 2 and my keyspan shows port 2. I changed it to COM2 in Linx and it wouldn't configure. I put it back to COM1 in Linx and it says Auto Configuration Successfull......and no port conflict! I know I am getting old and senile however, this makes zero sense to me.

It might be something related to Windows 11, but if they still haven't buried Device Manager under too many layers of fluffy pastel b******t, try changing the COM number assigned to the Keyspan and then switch it in RSLinx.

Rant on:
I hate windows 11. A customer accidentally updated an Ignition Client to it and it runs fine, except those bastages at Microsoft painted a bunch of new fluffy b*****it* layers over the top of stuff I really need to get to and it p***es me the hell off. Where the hell is my Ethernet Devices list now? They also broke Classic Shell, but Open shell came to the rescue. I was able to put my Windows 7 Classic start menu back in the lower left corner and I just ignore that fluffy bu****it menu those bastages pasted in the middle of the taskbar.

It might be something related to Windows 11, but if they still haven't buried Device Manager under too many layers of fluffy pastel b******t, try changing the COM number assigned to the Keyspan and then switch it in RSLinx.

Yup, I did all that. My second comment was that I changed it in Device Manager, re-loaded Device Manager, saw the change had been made, went to Linx and changed it and it wouldn't configure. I changed it back to port 1 in Linx and the darned thing configured AND got rid of the port conflict however, in RSWho it doesn't show any info about what is connected to that port. This is the goofiest thing I have seen in a while!

Yup, I did all that. My second comment was that I changed it in Device Manager, re-loaded Device Manager, saw the change had been made, went to Linx and changed it and it wouldn't configure. I changed it back to port 1 in Linx and the darned thing configured AND got rid of the port conflict however, in RSWho it doesn't show any info about what is connected to that port. This is the goofiest thing I have seen in a while!

I think I was ranting and raving while you typed in that 2nd comment.

I have found that when I change a COM port number in DeviceManager I have to close RSLinx and reopen it for it to see the port.

I also have had times where RSLinx on Windows10 wouldn't see the port when it had the correct number until I stopped it and restarted it.