New Laptop Recommendations

Looking to purchase a new laptop for programming AB PLC's around the plant. Any recommendations?

12core or higher processor, i7 or i9
32gb ddr4 ram
dedicated graphics card if possible.
physical Serial com port is a plus, but multiple USB A and C ports if not.

If you do onsite commissioning, then an HDMI Port, otherwise no worries.

anything that fits that category would be good.

Don't get stuck with one of those new fancy USB-C port only laptops, nobody is ready for that transition yet, you'll end up carrying a multiport adapter to do anything which makes holding the laptop for any reason impossible.

I would disagree that a dedicated GPU and 32GB of RAM is necessary.
16GB should do you fine with a 11th or 12th gen i7.

Agreed on the USB-C ports being inconvenient.

I would disagree that a dedicated GPU and 32GB of RAM is necessary.
16GB should do you fine with a 11th or 12th gen i7.

Agreed on the USB-C ports being inconvenient.

I guess depending on how the computer is used. I use multiple VMs so the extra memory comes in handy when I need to use two at once, which means 3 machines running. And I don't mean dedicated as in a gaming GPU, but the current laptop i'm using has an Nvidia quadro p620, which isn't a high power gaming gpu, but it's also not a built in card that is going to bog down when dealing with any kind of 3d tooling software.

I guess depending on how the computer is used. I use multiple VMs so the extra memory comes in handy when I need to use two at once, which means 3 machines running. And I don't mean dedicated as in a gaming GPU, but the current laptop i'm using has an Nvidia quadro p620, which isn't a high power gaming gpu, but it's also not a built in card that is going to bog down when dealing with any kind of 3d tooling software.

True, definitely going to come down to use case.
Personally, I get by with 8 GB ram and an 11th gen i5. But I don't have to do much heavy lifting and don't utilize VM very often. RAM bottlenecks depending on what I'm doing occasionally.

physical Serial com port is a plus, but multiple USB A and C ports if not.

If you do onsite commissioning, then an HDMI Port, otherwise no worries.

anything that fits that category would be good.

Don't get stuck with one of those new fancy USB-C port only laptops, nobody is ready for that transition yet, you'll end up carrying a multiport adapter to do anything which makes holding the laptop for any reason impossible.

dont forget an rj45. currently laptop has some proprietary dongle adapter that doesnt lock in place and makes me nervous when i am connected to things.

current laptop only has one usb port and its annoying.

Last edited:
My current PC ("engineering laptop" provided by our IT group) is an HP with a 9th gen i7. It has 32GB RAM with the OS on a 500GB SSD and a second 2TB SSD for virtual machine storage. I run VMWare Workstation Player with multiple VMs, which is why I asked for that much RAM. I'll regularly have 2 or 3 open at once, depending on what I'm working on. I also use BricsCAD and AutoDesk Inventor but generally don't use Inventor and VMWare at the same time. Every now and then, but not often.

For graphics, it has an NVIDIA Quadro T2000. I'm a lot out of touch with gaming rigs and specs, so I don't know how high end that is (or was in 2020 when the laptop was new). It does well with Inventor, though.

For a COM port, I have an old Keyspan USA-19HS that I bought back in 2011 that's still going strong. I'll echo the other comments about RJ45 and USB-A vs USB-C. Mine has one USB-C next to the power port that serves as a connection for the docking station and 3 USB-A ports. I still end up using a small 4-port USB hub for when I need more than 3 USB devices (pretty regularly).

I appreciate all the response to this. I’ve had a Dell vostro laptop for the past 11 years and really had zero trouble with it. I’ve upgraded the memory and hard drive of course over the years. I’m actually thinking of getting another Dell vostro. Newer version has an I7, 16 gigs of memory, 1 TB SSD , GeForce RTX 3050 graphics and 16 inch screen. It has a couple USB ports, hdmi and ethernet port. I may change the memory to 24 gig. I looked at one of the rugged laptops, but I think that’s overkill for what I’m doing here.

Thinkpad P15 or T15 would be my top pick.

Unlike the advice above, i would not get one with high powered GPU unless you do ton of 3D CAD. Good GPU chews up battery live even when you are not doing graphic applications.

Yes, get one with standard USB port, carrying that USB-C dongle around sucks.

Good memory and SSD drive is fundamental.
The SSD drive, aside from being faster, it will save you some grief if you happen to drop your computer.

I just get whatever Thinkpad the guys at IT have laying around. As long as it has 2 or more USB and a proper ethernet I'm happy.
Hell most my programming gets done on a basic Tiny thinkcenter with a i5 w 16 GB ram. Works good enough for me

dont forget an rj45. currently laptop has some proprietary dongle adapter that doesnt lock in place and makes me nervous when i am connected to things.

current laptop only has one usb port and its annoying.

yeah, it's kind of insane how the industry has gone to such an ease of use that they forget what other people use the products.

Laptops used to have Ethernet and Serial ports, both have a form of positive locking retention.

now, they want you to toss it all onto a single USB-C, that pulls out so much easier than a USB-A does, let a lone a screwed in serial port, or a clicked-in RJ45.

I'd hate to spend too much on a Laptop considering the abuse they sometimes take.
This one got Hydraulic Oil splashed all over it and into and behind the screen the other day.

OilSoakedLaptop.JPG