VMware-can ping but rslinx cannot detect the PLC

Nigasai

Hi All,

First time to used VMware on my MacAir notebook, in the VMware environment I can Ping the PLC but once I go to RSlinx under my etherNet/Ip Driver i cannot see the PLC I used static IP address for my laptop and the PLC itself. Im using a wireless switch... Thanks for help..
o_Oo_O
Cheers,

If you add the PLC directly in the Ethernet driver, not the Ethernet/IP one, can you see it?

Yes I'd tried the Ethernet devices driver and key in the PLC IP address to force my VM to browse, same it check for a while then X appears. i really don't know how to resolve this issue. Theoritically once ping works linx should have no problem.. I'm using linx 2.54o_Oo_O

Cheers,

How have you got your ethernet set up in your VMWare?

Yes, I set a static IP address on VM environment.

Actual IP set up:

SLC505 - 192.168.79.2
VMware - 192.168.79.1
subnet - 255.255.255.1

My Mac Lion OS is set to DHCP.but tried also to set same IP level(.5) but nothing to avail.

Cheers,

What i meant is how have you got your Network Adapter configured in VMWare setup, I have mine configured as NAT and i am sure that works foe me but I cnnot check it at the moment no access to a ethernet network.

Alan

2012-05-13_162622.jpg

What i meant is how have you got your Network Adapter configured in VMWare setup, I have mine configured as NAT and i am sure that works foe me but I cnnot check it at the moment no access to a ethernet network.

Alan

Hi Alan, thanks for showing me this I will check my things once arrive home.. Thank you again for your help.

@Dravik, yeah its 0 not 1 thanks

I've been using Bridged mode with success.

Host: Static IP 192.168.5.248, subnet 255.255.255.0
VM: Static IP 192.168.5.249, subnet 255.255.255.0
PLC: Static IP 192.168.5.209, subnet 255.255.255.0

VM network adapter in bridged mode.

In VMware Workstation Virtual Network Editor I have selected the Bridged adapter and told it only to bridge connections to my physical network card and not any other adapters eg. wireless card.

I'm not sure if you can use the Virtual Network Editor in the free VMware Player though.

I've been using Bridged mode with success.

Host: Static IP 192.168.5.248, subnet 255.255.255.0
VM: Static IP 192.168.5.249, subnet 255.255.255.0
PLC: Static IP 192.168.5.209, subnet 255.255.255.0

VM network adapter in bridged mode.

In VMware Workstation Virtual Network Editor I have selected the Bridged adapter and told it only to bridge connections to my physical network card and not any other adapters eg. wireless card.

I'm not sure if you can use the Virtual Network Editor in the free VMware Player though.

Thanks brendan, Yeah I see it last night. I believe VM set the networks to NAT by default. I will change it, once I resume with my things on friday hopefully it would work this time. My Vmware is not the free edition. thanks again for help..

Cheers,

This is probably no help but I will describe it any way

When I have problems with RSLINX comms, I tend to Find the 2 Harmony files and delete them, they are cache files that automatically rebuild them selves when RSLinx starts.
OkiePC gave a description of them a couple of weeks ago on this forum.

In my computer I find them at C:\Program files\Rockwell software\RSCommon
But in your computer you may need to search for them

Vmnetcfg is actually included in the vmplayer installer only it isn't installed.
To extract vmnetcfg.exe from the installer do the following:

1. Run the installer with /e option. For example:
VMware-player-3.0.0-197124.exe /e .\extract
Contents will be extracted to “extract” folder.
2. Open “network.cab” and copy vmnetcfg.exe to your installation folder,typically C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player\

use ip of the communication module directly in the Ethernet devices in rslinx while set ip of the vmware in automatic mode
it will works
i am using it happily

If you have your VM set up correctly then you should be able to browse all devices using the Ethernet/IP driver.

Some devices won't show up in the Ethernet/IP driver, but have to be entered manually in the Ethernet Devices driver. I don't know how to tell which one to use other than trying the Ethernet/IP first.