TIA Portal S7-1500 copy protection

Manglemender

All,

We are looking into the best ways to protect IP in PLC/SCADA code and the latest offerings included with TIA portal seem much better than previous incarnations. Passwords, tying code to processor serial number, knowhow protect etc.

Has anyone come across instances where this security has been compromised?

Nick

In the old days, I had heard of Siemens unlocking an S7300 block under specific circumstances, or Siemens China doing it just for fun.

I have not heard of this happening with 1500s, and Siemens has repeatedly said that they can't (instead of just "won't" like before). Supposedly it is encrypted with the password you provide.

I've heard of some security researchers doing interesting things with a live PLC, but assumption #1 always seems to be that the device has no password. To be fair, I almost never see anything except a safety password, but if you are actually using it, I haven't heard of the HW passwords being defeated either.

I mean, obviously brute force methods always work given enough time, but I think that's assumed in the whole discussion.

@MK42

Thanks for the reply. Unlocking blocks in S7300s certainly wasn't very challenging but S7-1500 seems better protected.

As you say, brute force is an option so it comes down to using a "strong" password which must then be stored somewhere as no-one will remember it and then the storage becomes the weak point.

Nick

@MK42

Thanks for the reply. Unlocking blocks in S7300s certainly wasn't very challenging but S7-1500 seems better protected.

As you say, brute force is an option so it comes down to using a "strong" password which must then be stored somewhere as no-one will remember it and then the storage becomes the weak point.

Nick

I guess the other thing to note is that although the source is protected, the compiled version could be theoretically decompiled. Also, if your proprietary special sauce is just things like timing and temperature setpoints, those are typically easily observable outside the PLC.

As for the password storage.... yeah. I know Siemens created a "Password Provider" API (it's mentioned in the help file), but then they proceeded to keep it proprietary instead of releasing it as part of Openess. WIBU is the only company who seems to have done anything with it so far; you might want to take a look at their solution if you want to abstract the passwords away. I've never tried it myself.

https://www.wibu.com/us/products/embedded-security-kits/siemens-tia-portal.html