1719 HART reset

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I've never done any HART except look at the value. Does anyone know if you can do a reset of a flow meter over it?

I've never done any HART except look at the value. Does anyone know if you can do a reset of a flow meter over it?

Some of the newer instruments have a AOP that will allow you to do a reset via HART (Rosemount if memory serves). Albeit I have never had the privilege of using Rosemount.
We typically use Endress instruments and I have yet to be able to do anything other than read the variables with Spectrum Controls Cards.
If you don't need Allen Bradley PLC, Endress has some flow meters that support modbus RTU that are extremely easy to control via a PLC. Typically we use a AD BRX but I am sure there is other options.

HART Command 42 is "Perform master reset" and is part of the HART specification's "Common Practice Commands". This means that although many devices support them, they are not necessarily mandatory. Thus you will need to verify if the device supports command 43 and if there is no AOP available you may need to develop it. I have never used HART on Rockwell platforms, so I am not able to add much more to this comment.

If you don't need Allen Bradley PLC, Endress has some flow meters that support modbus RTU that are extremely easy to control via a PLC. Typically we use a AD BRX but I am sure there is other options.

Allen Bradley and Endress have quite a bit of stuff that works nicely. They have EthernetIP flowmeters, for example... and if you look for PlantPAX downloads, there's a dedicated archive to use Endress equipment in PlantPAX.

I agree that Rockwell's HART offerings are very lacking (1719 has it because P+F has it too, not because Rockwell necessarily wanted it).