Studio 5000 Single Msg Writes?

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there any good way to send actually messages to another PLC?

The MSG instruction isn't really a message it just continuously writes to a tag in a remote PLC. I want to be able to actually send a PLC a set of data only once, an then get an Ack back that that data was received.

Normally how this is done is you have a giant UDT that has tags and an Ack for every possible "Message" you may ever want to send. So you might have a UDT that has like 100 different Tags for like 20 messages, and all of that data is sent every all at once continuously.

The MSG instruction isn't really a message it just continuously writes to a tag in a remote PLC.
In Logix 5000, MSG writes only once if you properly configured it.
It writes on rung transition from false to true only once.
Rung condition should go from true to false and back to true to write data again.