K6500 Home config change

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello. I have little experience with Kinetix servo drives so the likelihood of a dumb question getting fired out here is pretty high. I currently have a K6500 that I would like to change one of the axis' from internal home position to an external prox switch. I have been searching for information about not only how to do this but to learn what the settings for the drive are for.

This doesn't appear to me that the Kinetix have parameters that are stored on the unit itself like a Power Flex but that it is fed its settings by Studio 5K, is that a true statement? If so, then I guess it is the Studio 5k manual that I need to brush up on?

Thanks much

Hello ceilingwalker,

We have some 6500 drives here, and they are significantly different to the PowerFlex drives. The 6500 are Ethernet CIP Motion drives. All of the logic and control parameters are driven by the PLC, over Ethernet, so it’s the Studio 5K you’ll need to brush up on.
In the controller organizer, look for the Motion Group containing the axis to modify.

Opening the axis, there is a homing page in the axis properties. Change the sequence to “Switch”, and select a direction and homing speed.
The new home switch will need to be wired to Digital input 2 (home) on pin 42 of the 44 pin connector on front of the drive.
You’ll then need some logic to trigger a Motion Axis Home “MAH” instruction.

For other settings on the drive, have a look at the manual from about chapter 7 (page 184) for K6500 configuration.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2094-um002_-en-p.pdf

Cheers