HMI to Digital IO's without a PLC?

Thanks Steve
I'll try and incorporate that idea into the Program section of Crimson 3 .. Might work :) Except you can't go after specific bit numbers. You have to define the new word in hex. Without the CMD #AABB(data) .. there is no way to access a single bit to write to it, you can only write to the DO word.

A workaround would take the value of the current DO word in hex, and change one of the bits by replacing that word with a new word which is different only by one bit... kinda like changing the spelling of WORD to WOOD .. you still have to write WOOD, not just change the "R" .... I want to just change the R .. :)

Last edited:
Steve

Is your equation involving "apples and oranges" DOword is a 2-bit hex, bit number is a 1-bit "channel" 0 to 7.. bits have an address. the DO bits are at 17 to 24 in a 32-bit D/IO word in the ADAM-4055... Would you please explain what your equation is doing, and how it would change any bit in the 8-bit word of DO. I assume you are reading the existing word then re-writing the word with one bit changed?

I don't know exactly what you read and write between the Red Lion to the Adam so my example is somewhat generic. In my example, DOWord is 16 bits. Each bit of DOWord can represent a single output point. My point was to show you how to set or clear a single bit within a group of sixteen. First read the current status of the outputs. Then use the appropriate method to set or clear the bit and then write the result back to the Adam module. If say that my method still doesn't write to a single bit you're correct. But it only changes a single bit.

Steve

Thanks Steve.. I thought that is what you meant.. It sounds good and it probably would be a good work-around to not having the needed Command #AABB(data) in the Red Lion Database. That command (created by Avantech), actually will write to a single bit.

Norm Galvin of Red Lion support has some ideas how to do it, but is quite busy.. I can wait :) Plan B is that Red Lion installs the CMD in the Driver; which, at this point may be asking too much. To be continued.

Steve

Hi again... :)

there are about 12 commands that Avantech has for this module (they make a lot of data acquisition modules.) They also have User software, so you can play with the commands using Adam/Apax .Net Utility connected via RS485 and your Windows PC (10 preferred)

Generally, these modules are accessed by your own programming with a PC and Visual Basic... As Red Lion G3 HMI's are quite good at performing like a PLC .... It should be possible to do the communication directly with an ADAM D/IO module .. without a "Driver"; However, Red Lion Crimson 3 has a "ADAM" driver for many of the modules. The 4055 is listed as included... but, it's missing the all-important Command #AABB(data)

It's easy to connect the Adam/Apax .Net Utility, and try out all 12 or so commands... so you know they work great... :)

I'm not skilled enough to attempt to use the HMI without a driver for the ADAM modules. Nor am I skilled enough to simulate the CMD with a "work-around" ... That would take a Red Lion programming expert ... perhaps on this Forum? :)

Last edited:
On page 2 of the Sept_18 file that Chelton sent you in post #46, change the tags in the eight data boxes on the left side to "Output_0" through "Output_7" instead of "Output_Status_Bit_0" through "Output_Status_Bit_7".

When I did it and also changed the source of the tag "Output_Word" to "Internal" it worked the way you want it to in simulation. Click on any of the data boxes to toggle the bit on or off and see the result in the "Output_Word" box. Change the value of the "Output_Word" tag and see the results in the data boxes for the individual bits.

Since I don't have an Adam 4055 I can't check it out for real with the "Output_Word" tag set to get its data from the Adam module.

Edit: Attached file

Last edited:
Steve's mod to Database

Wow.. thanks Steve ... I'll give it a try. Chelton did a lot to fix the problems I was having just getting the DO status to show up on the HMI page. I was able to send data and change the DO bits/word on the ADAM-4055, based on a digital input called Curve Number (from 0 to 255) ...

So, you are running simulations on Crimson 3 .. Thank you! I have found that when I get it to work fine in simulation, that database won't read the module.. but, as you can see "Output_Word" is always reading the module, first 2-bits of the 6-bit word are outputs. May not get to it today.. but soon... thanks again.

Yes... $AA6 ("Output_Word") is only reading the DO's (and the DI's).. it's only used to show status on the HMI page...

Last edited:
Just checked your Sept25 database... i don't see anything changed there.. looks just like Chelton's database (post #46) Did you send that by mistake?

It would be great to find a way to write to the DO's ... Output Word will always read them, for now those tags "Output_Status_Bit 0to7" is what makes that happen.

Last edited:
The changes I made are only to page 2. I made the changes I described in post #67. For simulation I changed the source of Output_Word from Mod1, Output_Status_Bit_0 to "Internal". But I changed the source back to Mod1 in the file I posted.

@Steve Bailey, The ADAM 4055 that lamboom is using reads the status of the outputs from the DIO_Dioln.Long in the format (dataOutput)(dataInput).
The Output word can be different from the actual output status.

@Lamboom, I've opened your file from post #50. What does actually happen to the outputs when you select a Curve then change to another Curve.
Say going form Curve 1 to Curve 7.

Where can I find the details of the communications protocol between the Adam module and the Red Lion?

My impression is that the Red Lion's "Output_Status" tag uses the DioIn command to read the inputs and outputs from the 4055 module into a 16-bit word with the inputs bits 8 through 15 and the outputs in bits 0 through 7.

To change the outputs the tag "Output_Word" uses the DioOut command. Executing that command can be triggered by a change in value in "Output_Word".

Lamboom will probably need to write a script to copy the 16 bits representing the outputs from the tag, "Output_Status" to the tag, "Output_Word".

Steve

Steve I ran your Database .. it did work in that the buttons would write to a single DO bit... but the move would also erase the other bits that might be on by other writes. Also that database is not a current one.. it was just for chelton to see, to solve the read of DO status so it would show up on the page of the HMI.. which he did :)

You should play with the database on post #50 "chelton-mike Ver3.txt" or something like that.

Notice the "Program1()" .. I think it's essential ... but, that depends on how you are mapping the Curve Number to the Tags representing the bits of the Module DO's.

to be continued... tomorrow.. Thanks much

chelton

Hi chelton ...

If I select another curve.. when entering the curve number on the numeric pad (0 to 255) and hit ENTER.. that instant the binary value in DO's appears on the ADAM-4055 .. and all the status indicators work great IO's too... :) Also.. should I punch a button on page 2 to select a DO.. It will become a 1... and all the others that were 1's are now OFF... just sayin'

Thanks for looking.. still no word from Red Lion about incorporating #AABB(data) into the driver ... But Norm Galvin has another idea on how to write to the module (he doesn't like our/your way of doing it... :) (I do)