FTView SE VBA Command Based on Tag Value

KristienP

I am running XLReporter (v14) and FTView SE (v11: Distributed Server) on the same computer (Server 2016 Standard). XLReporter is reading data from my PLC directly, and is randomly losing communications with the PLC (ControlLogix) every couple months, no alarms, nothing. Sytech tells me the only "fix" is to manually restart the XLReporter Scheduler. :mad:

Solution: XLReporter / PLC heartbeat setup. On comm loss, restart scheduler automatically. BUT, since XLreporter is NOT communicating with PLC, I need to use FTView to monitor comm loss. Use comm loss to execute a *.exe file that restarts the XLReporter. (the *.exe file is listed in their literature, this is a common problem they don't seem interested in fixing. I won't be using XLReporter again...).

Solution Problem 1: To have XLReporter monitor comm loss in FTView, need to have client purchase FTView Gateway license (They won't be happy, already had to purchase a RSLinx Gateway license...)

Solution Problem 2: Use VBA code in FTView to monitor comm loss tag and then execute the *.exe application. EXCEPT the client uses FTView Clients on workstations and NOT on the server, so can I even execute an application from the FTView Client on the server machine?

Looking for any suggestions on how to setup VBA to work on the server only, not workstations. Or other workarounds?

For FTView VBA, I check for a text file whenever the VBA initializes.

Code:
' Declare global(s) for enable(s)

Dim EnableDataLogging

Private Sub Display_Load()
Dim fs as Object

Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

if fs.FileExists("C:\FTVEnables\LogEnable.txt") Then
   EnableDataLogging = True
   LogDiagnosticsMessage "My Host Name is: " + ComputerName() + " And Logging is True"
Else:
   EnableDataLogging = False

LogDiagnosticsMessage "My Host Name is: " + ComputerName() + " And Logging is False"

Then, check your flags in every function to see if you should do a thing or not.