Blue Screen

G
Hello guys!!!

I would like to ask a question for those who are interested to help me.
In our line were using 3 units of IDUSTRIAL PC D700 (1 unit in each m/c). My problem is in the past 2 years operation I have experienced 5 to 6 times each PC got BLUE SCREEN :( and this it says,
*** STOP: 0x0000001E <0x0000005, 0xA001F1AD, 0x00000001, 0x5C0104EF>
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
But the machine continously running.

When this problem occured I need to stop the line to reboot the PC.

What was the possible cause of this?
What is the possible solution to do not happen again?

Please advise me
Thank You Very Much in advanced.
Jonjon

Your question does not mention what particular software you are using to run the system, but in my plant, we have two machine running VLC by Entivity.

The VLC program resides "above" Windows, and when Mr Gates' creation takes a notion to throw a temper tantrum, VLC keeps right on running in the background, completely ignoring little interruptions like the blue screen, the keyboard, the mouse, etc.

In truth, VLC is an amazing program with alot of horsepower, but saddling it onto Windows NT is like strapping a rocket to a model-T Ford.

Your problem is probably not in your machine software, but in Windows itself, at which point, most of us are completely at the mercy of Gates and his 80% market share.

Good Luck!

TM

Maybe I am missing something, but it sounds to me like we are talking about the infamous "Blue Screen of Death" here. If this is the case, then we cannot necessarily blame Mr. Gates (as much as I love to point fingers at him too :rolleyes: ) or any other software folks for that matter.

If your machine continues to run as you say, then the PC might be interfaced purely in a supervisory mode. If so, then you may not actually have to shut the machine itself off to reboot, just the PC. Have you tried this? Or is the PC actually integral to the moment-by-moment machine operation? If you don't know, you might want to look in more depth to find a way to shut the PC itself off only the next time this happens.

Assuming that the PC is supervisory only, you may have a hardware problem with the PC itself. If you decide this is the case, I would suggest setting up another PC to temporarily replace it as a test. You might be able to set one in the bottom of the cabinet and just bypass the existing one. This should prove whether it is the PC or not.

If the hardware does prove to be the culprit, one regular source of this type problem is a bad RAM stick. You could try to replace one or all RAM sticks (assuming, of course, that there are removable RAM sticks in your PC). This is a relatively cheap thing to do. If it is not RAM, however, your motherboard could well be the problem. In that case, I can't offer much except to suggest replacing the PC altogether…at that point you need better advice than mine. 🔨

Steve

Tobe OPEN or not to be...

I expect you'll be given the run-around by the different peoples involved in this system.

The Windows people will begin by telling you to format and re-install... the different softwares...

The HMI will probably tell you that it's the first time they ear of this and tell you to re-install...

...And so on.

The fact of the mather is that they most likely are telling you the truth. All are.

It is my experience that what initiates these BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) is most likely an app that services one of your devices.

For instance, when you install, say, a printer. You get to replace some DLLs in the Windows system. Those are built by... who the heck knows...

Then you install a scanner, a DLL with the same name is added to your system and you might never see a difference. But when, a few months later, you install an HMI or Soft-PLC software, these xcrew-up the whole thing.

It is very hard to determine exactly which part of the structure causes this BSOD but I'm telling you one thing, from a clean install, whit ONLY the devices needed and your main Application, you should not experience any failures.

Install ONLY what is needed. No games, no Paint program, NOTHING else but what you need.

So when they tell you to format and re-install, they are giving you the shortest way to get back on track.

If you really want to get into the heart of this bug, install WinIce and play. But this is not for the beginners.

My advice, clean-start and get a Gost software to get back on track later when someone else will have installed a game overnight and unisntalled it in the morning... Garbage IN is not always Garbage out... there is always thing left over at the end...

If Windows code was available to the developper they COULD fix things like this. I say COULD, who would care fixing a bug originating from a freeware app. installed and removed.

My experience is that Windows NT is solid... when you leave it alone.

Hummmm.... everyone assume it's NT you talked about... is it, or WIN2K. With Win2K it's usually a driver issue. Remove the offending driver (non-compliant) usually solve the problem. (You can *disable* each driver buy going into device manager and click the disable check box under each device.) If you are not running Win2k.. well you should :D ... One just can't play Quake on NT ...

HT

harryting said:
Hummmm.... everyone assume it's NT you talked about... is it, or WIN2K. With Win2K it's usually a driver issue. Remove the offending driver (non-compliant) usually solve the problem. (You can *disable* each driver buy going into device manager and click the disable check box under each device.) If you are not running Win2k.. well you should :D ... One just can't play Quake on NT ...

HT

I've never even seen a driver cause blue screens in Win2K... But I do have an EVIL network card that causes all my operating systems to crash. This thing actually worked well under Windows2000 for quite some time. Then one day... THE LAN CARD SNAPPED!!! Next thing I know, my laptop was rebooting itself. It does that every time I plug it in, so I keep the two separated by a distance of at least 100 yards.

When I got unidentified blue screens in Windows98, I found the Microsoft Knowledgebase quite useful. It's buried in the web site somewhere, bookmark it!

AK

As Steve mentioned earlier in the thread, I would first check your memory, bad mem can cause a wide variety of errors in operation & program installation. In the event there was a bad stick of mem when the software was loaded, it can cause a faulty install that will do who knows what. Follow the link below to download Memtest, its freeware that works well, it will not tell you which stick is bad, thats process of elimination, but it will tell you if you have bad mem or a mem problem such as a bad socket. There is another dos based program I've used but the name escapes me now, it works better as you load it on a floppy that you boot to, thus all mem will be tested, not just available mem. I would be happy to supply you with it, but I'm in transition & my main PC is not where I'm currently at. If you do a google search you will eventually find it. No point in doing much more than this first as you can eliminate this as a possbility up front. Keep in mind if you do find you have bad mem & still experience problems after replacing it, your install might be corrupt if the bad mem was in when the install was performed, so you might have to reinstall.
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

D700, the mini PC that made Milwaukee famous

Jonjon, you mentioned the model number D700, so I'll make the guess that you have a Cutler-Hammer D700 micro-iPC industrial computer.

They're available preloaded with quite a lot of things, the most relevant of which are the NetSolver soft-control engine and NetView DeviceNet configuration software.

The NetView and DeviceNet scanner fit in with your description of the WAGO I/O subsystem you mentioned gives you grief in another post.

And the NetSolver engine (which is just a brand-label for VLC) runs "underneath" Windows NT and that matches your description of a Windows bluescreen crash that permitted the control system to keep running.

So, how to find out what caused this crash ? Read through this Microsoft knowledgebase document:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en/prork/prhd_exe_bddb.htm

If I were you I would carefully check the signal integrity of my I/O network and maybe check with Cutler-Hammer to see if there are any firmware upgrades to the DeviceNet scanner card they use. My best guess is that this exception was caused by the network scanner card, either physically (network noise, motherboard interface vibration) or by something in firmware that doesn't come up very often.

Hello guys!!!

Thank you very much for all replies, Actually it is Catller Hammer D730 (Sorry not D700) Windows NT composed of normal computer w/ software had. Ya, It has Net view, Device Net, Net Solver RSview etc.
Actually I was forwrded all you replies to our mother co.(US) and here is they say.

A blue screen is a system shutdown that result from a confilictwithin the windows NT operating system. There are several causes for blue screen errors. They include the primary cause which is software package conflicts and hard drives requiring defragging.

Once again thank you very much to all.

"hard drives requiring defragging."

I always smile when I read this. Hey Bill, was NT not suppose to never need defrag??? :D