Profinet PN-PN-coupler testing without hardware

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
Looking for options for validating pn-pn-coupler configuration. Device-name and IO.

I was thinking of configuring a small PLC but this is extra hardware I need to take to builders.

I am thinking something like a softplc that can be a profinet master or software like Proneta that can validate IO. But Proneta seems to only suppport ET200 type IO.

Any suggestions?

I may be in luck, the site only lists et200 type IO but the list of supported devices shows the pn coupler.

I'll have to see if that works.

Still interested to hear other ideas.

Proneta has expanded a lot since it started out with just ET200sp, it might work.

If it doesn't work, you can try Profinet Commander, from PI. You'd need the $600 pay version, though, to have it be a PN controller.

https://profinetcommander.com/

That said, Validating a PN-PN coupler can be tricky, because you need to test it against the actual configuration on the other side, to be sure it matches and the X1/X2 are configured correctly.

Thanks, I'll check that out and see if Proneta can do what I want.

I'm not so worried about the other side, the X1 side is standard and set it place, we just need a way to validate the new machines that will be connecting to the X2 side.

Joltron:

I have the licensed version of Profinet Commander mentioned by MK2. It works very well. You need to download the Siemens TIA (Totally Integrated Automation) tool, but the evaluation version will do. This tool allows you to configure the IO running under the Profinet Commander. There is a free version of the Profinet Commander, but only the licensed version will support cyclic communication.

Another option is Codeys, which has an engineering tool which is free, and a Windows Soft PLC which works in demo mode for one hour or so, and is good enough to test the PN-PN device coupler.

Another option is Codeys, which has an engineering tool which is free, and a Windows Soft PLC which works in demo mode for one hour or so, and is good enough to test the PN-PN device coupler.

I didn't know Codesys supported PN, that's awesome info, thanks!

Which engineering tool are you speaking of?

It looks like they have alot of options. I see a Win SL option that might work. I'll have to see if I can download it, I don't currently have an account with them.

Hopefully it is failry simple to configure

I didn't know Codesys supported PN, that's awesome info, thanks!

Codesys supports Profinet, EtherNet/IP and EtherCAT as a master. It also supports Profinet device and EtherNet/IP adapter.

My company develops stacks development kits for these device/adapter/slave technologies, and many of my customers are new to PLC technology. So I buy the Codesys USB dongle and activate the license for RaspberryPi (which is EUR 50, as opposed to EUR 800 or so for Windows) and configure the RaspberryPi and sell this as part of evaluation package. Off-the-shelf RaspberryPi with Codesys license is of course not suitable to run a machine. But for bench test of instruments, development, training and education this Codesys product is really good and really cost effective.

Joltron, you will want just CODESYS Engineering V3 64bit version. It installs the soft plc CODESYS Control Win V3 x64 automatically for you to use in demo version.
Just make sure you read the help, there's a few additional steps like firewalls you have to configure for Profinet.

Thanks guys. I got Profinet commander working for my self, but I am not sure if the format of data from the coupler is how our management would want to see it.

So I will be checking out this Codesys engineering tool next.

Hello,
I have downloaded and installed the WinSL package "CODESYS Control Win 64 3.5.16.0.exe" on my PC. I want to check my netX90 development kit which is operating on PROFINET. So, can I connect using this tool and check the IO data(cyclic) for my testing?.
I am newbie to this can anyone guide me?. I am unable to open the tool and giving a message which is attached.

image_2020_07_06T10_57_16_119Z.png

Hello,
I have downloaded and installed the WinSL package "CODESYS Control Win 64 3.5.16.0.exe" on my PC. I want to check my netX90 development kit which is operating on PROFINET. So, can I connect using this tool and check the IO data(cyclic) for my testing?.
I am newbie to this can anyone guide me?. I am unable to open the tool and giving a message which is attached.

Anand: I think you should have initiated a new thread. You are showing the icon for the gateway of Codesys system. You need to start the engineering tool (Codesys v3.5 SP 16) or something like this.

Anand: I think you should have initiated a new thread. You are showing the icon for the gateway of the Codesys system. You need to start the engineering tool (Codesys v3.5 SP 16) or something like this.

Thank you for your reply.
Can someone confirm that can I see the cyclic data in the CODESYS tool?. In which form the data is available?. Can someone share some snapshots, if it is available?. Will create a new thread after this.

Last edited: