RS Logix 5000 - FOR block called routine keeps looping

mejadiaz

Hello,
I am programming a ladder routine that finds a part on a conveyor that has a given part number. I am having no problem finding the part and assigning a tag to its position. However, then I need to compare it with another pointer tag and calculate how much I need to move my conveyor to reach the position of that compared to tag. And then I need to update an offset tag that moves around a few pointer tags in the conveyor. The problem I am having is that I use a FOR block that executes as many times as I will need to move my conveyor and it evaluates the value in the offset tag. Since it is a cyclical conveyor, if the tag has a value of 18, I move the value to 0. If the offset has a value less than or equal to 16, I sum 2 to the tag. In other words. If I need to move my conveyor 3 times, I will sum 6 to the offset. But if the offset is at 18, I need to reset it to 0 before I sum 2 more. The FOR executes and exits fine. But the offset value keeps having +2 added and reset to 0 infinitely. It doesn't stop after the FOR loop is done.

Last edited:
Nevermind, I finally found where the loop was occurring. It was somewhere else. But it was so fast that the only value that changed was the one corresponding to the offset tag being modified by the FOR loop.