factory talk : converting MER file to APA

aminto89

dear all,really need help regarding this matter..

i got a mer file from my client. i already tried to restore it using application manager (FT V7.00) ..but,it mention that the file is saved in an older format.. then after go through on this forum..found out a way to restore it by importing the .med.. i tried to use those methods but still cannot restore the mer file..
can someone help me..please .. :(

If I recall, the .mer to .apa conversion started with FTView ME 5.1. If the project is older than 5.1 you might be out of luck.

View Studio ~ Restoring ~ MED MER APA Files

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

aminto89 said:
factory talk : converting MER file to APA

Just to be clear,

MER = Machine Edition Runtime file - Compiled MED file. Runs on terminal.
APA = APplication Archive file - Backup of MED file. Does not open in View Studio.
MED = Machine Edition Development file - Project file used to edit application in View Studio.

When you create a new application in View Studio, this creates an application folder, with the name of the application, within the default "HMI projects" folder. This project folder contains many sub-folders and an MED file. This is the development, project, or application file, whichever you like to call it. I'll refer to it as an application file.

When you open an application in View Studio, the MED file is used to reference the application data contained within the sub-folders. Because of this format, the application is not contained within one file. If you need to backup the application, you can use "Backup Application" within the "Application Manager". This backs up the MED application file by creating an APA archive file within the default "Archives" folder. This packs all of the project data into one file. The APA file is often used to transfer the project to another user, etc. The other user then uses the Application Manager to restore the APA file, which unpacks the application back into the application folder, sub-folders, and MED file, within their "HMI Projects" folder.

When you are ready to create your runtime file for the PanelView terminal, you select "Create Runtime Application" in View Studio. This compiles the MED file, and the necessary data in the sub-folders, into an MER file to load and run on the terminal. Versions of View Studio, or the previous RSView, prior to version 5.00, do not support restoring of the MER file back to an MED file. So only the application data required for the terminal is compiled into the MER, not the full application. Without the MED file, and the sub-folders, or an APA archive file of the application, you cannot restore or open an MER file to edit the application. View Studio version 5.00 or above supports the option to either compile the terminal data only, or the entire application to the MER file. The latter will allow you to restore the MER file back to an MED file and sub-folders.

You do not restore an MER file to an APA file.

You are attempting to restore an MER file to an MED file and sub-folders.

With that out of the way...

Option A: I have used your MER file and tried to "Restore runtime application" and I get the message:

"This runtime application file was saved in an older format that does not support conversion to a development application."

This means the application was developed in version 4.0 or older, so this MER does not support restoring to an MED and sub-folders.

Option B: You can recover some of the data from the MER using the "MED import" workaround. The steps are outlined here...

8913 - Recovering a Project from the MER File
Access Level: TechConnect

The "MED import" workaround allows a partial import of the application data which is contained in the MER runtime file. You run the MER on your computer using "Test Application" in View Studio. With the application loaded, but not running, this temporarily creates, within a "temp" folder, the application's MED file and sub-folders. However, not all of the application's data is temporarily created, as the compiled MER does not contain all of the application's original data and settings. With the temporary MED file and sub-folders created, you can then create a new application in View Studio with the option to import from the temporary MED reference file. Again, this will only import some off the application's data. Macros, Parameter files, Datalogs, Alarms and RSLinx Enterprise shortcuts will not be imported. Certain text will may not be imported, depending on original fonts used.

aminto89 said:
...found out a way to restore it by importing the .med.. i tried to use those methods but still cannot restore the mer file...

So what did not work while trying Option B to import from the temporary MED file?

Did it completely fail?
Has anything restored?
Do you think it has not restored correctly, or entirely?

As per above, it will not recover everything.

Using FactoryTalk View Studio v6.10 in Windows XPMode, I have used the MED import method and it worked, or at least it has worked as intended i.e. some of the project is imported, and some is not.

For instance, in your Displays, all your Text Objects display a '?', but their format (colour, size) are restored. A lot of older fonts were removed after View Studio v6.00. One of these older font types must have been used in the original application, so it is not supported in View Studio v6.00 or above any more. So the import defaults to Arial font type and '?' for all Text Objects. I'm afraid you will have to retype all these from the running application.

As expected, your RSLinx Enterprise shortcut information is not imported. You will have to redefine the path to the controller.

Your Displays (13) and tags (203) all seem to be there.

I have created an APA archive file (1.4MB) of your imported application. I've zipped it and attached below. Also attached is a screenshot of the "HOME" display showing the all the '?' on the Text Objects, and you can also see the end of the tag list.

Regards,
George

petronasP12_29.jpg

Attachments

• petronasP12_29.zip
    912 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
dear geospark,
thanks for your fast reply..
now i am able to restore the mer file..(not 100% restore i think)
i am using vmware..windows xp.. FT v6.1
able to see and edit all the graphics ( no '?' like you mention earlier for the home display)..

however i am facing a problem when trying to create the runtime
it mentioned that there a file which cannot be compile into the runtime..
and then..i choose to proceed the process..
then..after the runtime had been created..i cannot load the runtime..

do you familiar with this problem?

creating runtime problem

attached is the screenshot for what actually happen when i am trying to create the runtime.

i choosed to proceed but i cannot load the runtime

or..does it mean i have to start all over again? build up a new project.. :(

alarm runtime prob.jpg

Hi,

That is good new on all the '?' in the graphics! It must be a font that I don't have so? What font is it so I can check please.

Did you read the "Removing Unrecoverable Files" section in the 8913 Technote I linked?

The import has created a "MachineAlarms.mal" file, but View Studio cannot recognize this file properly, so you must manually delete it before attempting to create a runtime file.

Open Windows Explorer and locate the MachineAlarms.mal file in the recovered project folder "M_Alarms".

Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI Projects\<MED_ProjectName>\M_Alarms\MachineAlarms.mal

Delete this file and then try again.

Regards,
George