You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old September 17th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #1
gbradley
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Factory talk activation RSLogix500, PanelBuilder

My TechConnect is up next month so on the renewal I am considering changing my Master disk activation to Factory Talk activation.

When using Factory talk activation, is there a quick way to transfer activation from one machine to another?

Is the Factory Talk activation software easy to use?
Can I Uninstall the activation from my laptop and then Reinstall it onto my workstation? (I donít ever plan on running them concurrently)

Is the USB dongle (9509-USBDONG) a better way to go?
I already have the 1747-UIC plugged into one of the USB ports, I would prefer to not to have to plug in another device.
Thanks for any advice.
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #2
ELake20
United States

In my humble opinion, it's a PITA. I rolled out a couple installs of RSView with the USB dongle and it went OK - I think they are just doing this because the old style activation was so easy to pirate.

Just stick to what you know, do the old installation with master disks.

With factory talk, you will have to release the license which is then entered into ABs database. It's web based if I remember correctly, and you can only release it twice in a 24hr period.

I like the USB dongle, it allows myself and my co-worker to both utilize RSView but not at the same time. Saves money on only needing 1 license, and it's as simple as installing the dongle into the USB port. Setup is pretty easy, you just specify the hardware ID of the dongle so RS will search for it upon startup of your selected program.

Good luck!
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #3
Operaghost
United States

If you need to move the license frequently then the dongle may be your best choice. However, that is something you have to buy, and it is something that can be misplaced.

As an alternative, consider setting up your laptop as an activation server. Using Concurrent Activation your laptop can own the activation and use it when needed or it can be "checked-out" to your desktop as it is needed. It can then be returned to your laptop when done.

This method does not require any sort of "rehosting" or time constraints.

OG
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #4
gbradley
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operaghost
Using Concurrent Activation your laptop can own the activation and use it when needed or it can be "checked-out" to your desktop as it is needed.
OG
Yes that's the ticket.
Is this done using the Factory Talk Activation Software?
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #5
jad5150
United States

I don't recall the exact date, but the Master Disk Activation will be disappearing soon and you will have no choice but to use the Factory Talk activation.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum