DC control power grounding in a sourcing-input, sinking-output world.

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a client who has installed a control system which was designed offshore (ASIA), and uses a power system common to the Asian market.

The DC power supplies for this control system are all ungrounded, inputs are sourcing and outputs are sinking.

His concern is that a wire 'could get grounded and cause an input, or fire an output', and wonders if a DC Ground Protection device might help, if the DC Common of all the power supplies were tied to ground.

The control power is 24VDC, which is below the NFPA 70 limit of 60VDC for touch-safe.

For myself, I cannot recall any regulatory guidance on the topic of grounding 24VDC power supplies, but was curious as to the opinions of others.