RS Logix 5000 saving files to wrong locations

seth9976

So this has been a pain of mine for a while and I'm not sure if its a Rockwell setting or a windows setting but every time i open and make a change to anything on the studio 5000 or rs logix 5000 platform i have to save as and navigate the file to the correct location. Has anyone ran into this before? My SLC 500's and PLC 5's don't have this issue

I would check the default file locations in Properties.

Both of them should be the same folder, and the folder you want.

What do you consider the "correct location"? V20 and prior would default to the last location a file was saved to, which was very annoying. V21 and newer defaults to the location of the file you opened, which is the way it alwasy should have worked. Are you opening files on a network? Or locally?

But to take a WAG, RSLogix/Logix Designer often does silly things if it is not run as administrator. They often recommend setting UAC to the minimum setting.

The correct location would be the file that that project is archived to. I have 40 plus processors on my network. They are saved on a server so everyone has the most up to date revision. I have a few processors that are sub V20 but they all seem to want to save the copy to the location of the last processor you saved. Its not a big deal but it is just annoying.

Many programs, even with Administrator rights, can not save to a network location - it has to be on a local hard drive or flash drive. Some, like Office, wont let you edit or resave the file if it is from a network location. For this I copy the file to a local folder where I can open & edit it.

RSL is probably reverting to the default save location because of this.

After you make any changes you will have to copy the file to the correct network folder.

Not the case with Studio 5000, My v20+ projects are on a mapped network drive (although always available offline) and they load and save just fine.