Is sound available on your PC? Survey.

Is sound available on the computer you're using right now to visit this site?

• Yes, and my speakers are currently on.

Votes: 122 61.3%
  • Yes, but my speakers are currently off.

Votes: 62 31.2%
  • No, this PC has no sound option

Votes: 15 7.5%

• Total voters

Phil Melore

Administrator
Hi Folks,

Sorry to stick this to the top of the forum but I need to survey everyone to hopefully improve the user experience at the site.

I am considering creating 'something' for the site. I have the option of using text or sound (or both). Common sense says use both... but it would be better for me(ie. quicker/easier) to use only sound.

So,
do you have sound available on the computer you're using to visit this site right now?

Thanks,

Now... let's see... what kind of accent could we expect to hear...
Lower Bronx? Brooklyn? Up-State? Jersey, or Near-Jersey? Italian?

One nice feature for this site would be version for PDA's and mobilephones, that does not take a lot of memory to download. Iam quite often abroad, and browsing throug GPRS takes a lot of time and money. It would be much better to choose "cut version" in that kind of cases.

Regards
Lauri

PDA formatted version

Hundikoer said:
One nice feature for this site would be version for PDA's and mobilephones, that does not take a lot of memory to download. snip.....

Hi Laurie,
Interesting idea...

Try this 'compact version' of the forum from here:
compact version

Does that fit on your pda/mobilephone?

Enjoy,

Terry,

I'm with Eric on this one. I don't have any accent... it's you and the rest of the world that has an accent. :oops:

I was raised (I never actually 'grew up' :cool: ) in North Jersey (or should I say... Joisey) near exit 163 so I guess that's what you'd hear. But you'll have to wait and see... or hear.

Enjoy,

Phil Melore said:
Hi Laurie,
Interesting idea...
I was just thinking about that, too... Great minds, huh, Laurie?

The mini-site looks OK on my phone, Phil. Darn tough to type the URL and navigate, though.

I have sound at home. It's not available on every PC that I use. I think access to audio could be interesting, though. What are you planning to do with the sound? Am I hosting a weekly PLC show? :ROFLMAO:

AK

So, along with an avatar, we could all pick out a "theme" song that would play whenever someone click on our profile or scrolled past one of our posts.

If ladder logic was displayed in a post, and is running like simulation mode, appropriate "sounds" could play.

The possibilities are endless.

And Phil has SO much free time on his hands...

regards.....casey

We could see (hear) if Eric really does sound like Cartman.

Hear Akreels "Radio Voice".

Then, perhaps, some Shakespere from our resident thespian from Milwuakee.....

Aaron, I don't have access to a connected cell or pda to beta test what it looks like. I can only guess. You'll have to describe it or guide me to an image somewhere. Try this link instead of the long one: http://plcs.net/a.htm You don't even need to type www. :p That's a redirect and will work in a normal IE/Firefox browser... so hopefully your portable device likes the code.

Regarding the sound, it 'might' be a tiny part of a HUGE project I've been doing since early '04. The project is almost done now. It's so HUGE that I expect it will generate more traffic than the forum and other areas of the site. Believe me it's HUGE.

Enjoy,

CaseyK said:
Hear Akreels "Radio Voice".
Speaking of that:

Phil, some of the other contestants have managed to post their broadcasts without getting into trouble. Do you think you could spare some room in the downloads area for four 4-9MB .WMA files?

AK

akreel said:
Speaking of that:

Phil, some of the other contestants have managed to post their broadcasts without getting into trouble. Do you think you could spare some room in the downloads area for four 4-9MB .WMA files?

AK

There is a 4Mb or so limitation for any upload there even though the limit is set to around 300Kb. Can you burn them to a cd and mail it to me? I'll then convert them to an mp3 and post it for you.

Phil Melore said:
There is a 4Mb or so limitation for any upload there even though the limit is set to around 300Kb. Can you burn them to a cd and mail it to me? I'll then convert them to an mp3 and post it for you.
I'll see if there's some alternate way to get you the files, otherwise I'll PM you. You don't have an email address where I can dump them, do you?

Phil Melore said:
Peter and Casey, don't worry the sound will be purposeful.
I think I've been insulted. :unsure:

Last edited: