Connecting Cognex to Controllogix

derrickjp7

Hey all,

I'm trying to connect a Cognex camera to my V16 Controllogix. Problem is, I keep getting I/O Not Responding issues. The module fault on my 1756-ENBT is "(Code 16#0116) Electronic Keying Mismatch: Major and/or Minor revision invalid or incorrect," and both the Ethernet and Camera in the device tree have the yellow exclamation point. From there I disabled keying, just to see what would happen. That particular fault went away from the Ethernet but now my Insight-7000 camera is faulting out with "(Code 16#0204) Connection Request Error: Connection request timed out."

I've tried rolling back my Insight Explorer to 4.9 and that didn't help, I also checked all my IPs and subnets, everything looks in order. Do you know if I need to update my Ethernet card as well? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

you could try to download the EDS file for it from Cognex, it may be for later versions but you can generate a program in a later version using the EDS file and take the values required to use the unit and generate a Generic Ethernet module using as many of the settings as you can.

I've not used any Cognex equipment but this approach allowed me to use a profinet to Controllogix anybus unit on V16

Well that was kind of the second problem I was having. I was going to update the ENBT so I downloaded the files from Rockwell. I opened up ControlFlash but couldn't find the ENBT module where it lists all the different processors and modules. Is there an overlying family name I should be selecting.?

I recommend reviewing this document:

Integration of In-Sight with AB PLCs running
RSLogix

There is, what seems to me, a confusing mix of revisions related to the Add-On-Profile (AOP), Insight Firmware, and RS-Logix. You may have to try different "Revision" settings in the Module Definition when using the Insight 7000 AOP. For example, I am using Revision 10.001 (AOP Module Properies) with a 7402 at Firmware version 4.10, and -L61 at 20.13

You will also want to make sure the other connection settings are consistent with the camera setup (data size to/from the camera), but I don't think an error with these will result in the module mismatch.

You can also try Cognex tech support. Last I knew, they would handle support requests without a paid contract or other fees.

@Mispeld

I've actually been using that document a lot lately, its gotten me where I'm at now. It's been very helpful!

I have successfully updated my ENBT, to be honest I was being dumb and forgot about a step, so it wasn't working earlier. I have incrementally updated through each version of the ENBT, reached V6.003 and its kind of helped. I'm no longer getting the mismatch error while having keying enabled but I'm still getting the time out error from the camera.

Currently this is what I'm running
Revision 10.001 on the Insight 7000, Insight Explorer version 4.9 (I did roll this back from 5.6. Is there actual firmware I need to change as well other than just the Explorer?) and L55 V16

From the diagram on page 4 of that document it seems like I have everything correct as I'm using the AOP version 1.28

Is there actual firmware I need to change as well other than just the Explorer?)

Yes, the camera will have a firmware version which can be displayed (and updated) by InSight Explorer. One way to see the camera's version is to right-click the camera icon in the explorer Network view and select Properties from the context menu. A small window should pop-up with details about the camera.

Unlike the RS-Logix world, InSight Explorer is mostly backward compatible with older camera firmware. And the newer versions (and Cognex policy) allow you to update a camera's firmware from the System menu.

Oh, and the ENBT in my system has firmware 6.006, though you are probably OK with 6.003.

Last edited:
Cool, I'll look into that tomorrow. Is it simple to change the firmware back to where it currently is? I ask because I'm actually a student using school equipment. So I need to be able to roll it back to version its at now.

I suggest leaving the camera firmware as-is, and use the flowchart in the Cognex document to determine the correct module settings for the Logix AOP. Though I'm a little worried it's going to tell you to set it up the way you currently have it, which is not working for you...meaning the problem is elsewhere.

I can say that I have Cognex firmware version 5 cameras (not 7000 series) using the AOP with Logix processors at version 16 and very old ENBT modules and firmware. In these programs, the AOP Module Revision is 11.001.

If all else fails, and the AOP will not work, there is the option to use the generic Ethernet module in Logix 5K, with settings specified in some older Cognex documents. This is kind-of a last resort.

So good news! I got it working.

I was actually on the phone with Cognex tech support and I figured out it was an IP address problem. For whatever strange bewildering reason when I was offline with explorer it said 10.0.0.87, but as soon as I went online it switched to 10.0.0.93. I have no idea why, but I have it working.

I'm kind of confused by some data though and hopefully y'all can shed some light on it. I've included this handy diagram.

1) This is a coordinate that I can see in Explorer and am sending it to the plc via 32 bit float to camera:I.InspectionResults[0]
2) This is the weird number that shows up in that tag. I have no idea what this number is.
3) But the DINT array associated below it....
4) ...matches the binary number of 4.931445

So what is this crazy number in camera:I.InspectionResults[0] and how can I convert that back to 4.931445?

Data.jpg