G310C2 Cloning with image file on CF card

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working on two apps for Red Lion G310 HMI using Crimson 3.0 and one is ready to install, the other a few weeks off.

I was thinking about how to make it as easy as possible for Bubba to replace one of them it it should die in the middle of the night, so I don't have to get up and remote in to download.

I called tech support and they explained that all I need to do is create an image file in Crimson 3.0, copy it to the root of the CF card, and when installed in the replacement G310, if the image on the CF card doesn't match the image already loaded in the G3, it will update itself (firmware and all), so all Bubba has to do is move the card to the replacement unit. This would also effectively move all my data and security logs to the new unit (and anything else I dream up to file on that CF card).

I have two G3s set up in the office and tried this out, but did not succeed. One of them had a demo application in it and is on loan from the friendly folks at A-Tech, so I am not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Perhaps I am missing a setting or tickbox somewhere?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited:
Crimson 3 image file

I do it now with G304 & G306 units when the software needs changing.
The units are not on a network, so it is the only way i have to change the software.
Had problems in the beginning with the file extension name, was wrong in the manual.
Just name it "image.ci3" and it should work OK.
Hope this helps.
Kenny

Eureka! I left it as the project_name.ci3, but I bet your answer is the fix (will find out in the morning), and Jeremy probably said that in our short phone conversation, but I didn't catch it, thanks!