RS Logix 5000 - Failed to save project. File not found

Unable to Save File, File Not Found Error 753-80042017

Good Afternoon ,

I created a file called "InterBake Line 4 1348 Molder". I downed to the processor . I go to save changes and I get the message "Failed to save the project , File not found " . What could be the cause of this ? I have plenty of disk space , it won't save to a USB stick ,either.

Thanks,
"RSLogix/Studio 5000 Unable to Save File, File Not Found Error 753-80042017"

I know this is an old thread, but I had the same issue after I added a new routine to the program while "online". I accepted the edits and assembled them in the processor but the program would not save.

To correct this, I closed the program without saving (of course), exited RSLogix (Studio) 5000, opened RSLogix (Studio) 5000 again, opened the original program, and went online.

During this process the changes are uploaded from the controller and when I went to save the program I was asked if I wanted to save the changes uploaded from the controller, I selected yes and the program saved normally to the folder I selected.

My OS is Windows 10 and this particular program was written in Studio 5000 v30.11

I hope this may help someone who experiences the same issue.

Windows Temporary folder interaction

Windows is actually the culprit in this instance.

Usually the temp folder is meant to exist and then in garbage collection, become removed to free up the initial space once more. However, this can be easily thwarted if the program that created the temp folder is trying to copy said temporary item into a protected user folder.

There's a workaround that I always do and it prevents that specific Windows quirk.
Typically, for any program that you're going to use heavily and it's going to be your main generator of new content,
Code:
right click>properties>compatibility>"Run As Administrator"
This gives the program administrator privileges (ie to create or destroy files/folders without prompting the user)

There are other cures but this is the ounce of prevention kind.

Hey just wanted to drop by to say how terrible and buggy this software stil is!

Can't even save a program hahahaha oh man if this company didnt have a monopoly...

Another problem could be user access to the folder. It might require privileges. I have had similar problems, and I remember A-D DirestSoft would not show any processor types when opening the program.

I now set these programs to Run As Administrator, for all users. Plus for S5K set the launcher and each version of Logix Designer

Not opening .L5K

Hi I have Logix Designer v28 when I open .L5K file its not opening. Nothing happens when I click open. It doesn't open and there is no error message. Can somebody help?

Last edited:
Hi I have Logix Designer v28 when I open .L5K file its not opening. Nothing happens when I click open. It doesn't open and there is no error message. Can somebody help?
First open Factory Talk Activation Manager and make sure first the service is running, it might pop up it can't start the service due to needing to be Run As Administrator.

Then make sure your license(s) show as Available and not Used or Borrowed. If it shows 0 available it can't see them, or if they show as Borrowed then they are shut down for a period of time (up to 7 days) to be used on another computer. If they are borrowed they will automatically reactivate and stop working on the other computer, they also can be returned early.

I have a problem with Studio 5000 not opening when it should run on the grace period license of 7 days. My licenses are on the USB-Dongle. RSLogix 5000 will open and run for the grace period, but not Studio for some reason.

Capture2.JPG

for the very old OP post... this also happens if your file is out on the network and the network connection drops... can't save it anywhere after that. Really annoying issue. Not particularly bad. just have to go back a little and use a auto save / recovery file. Most you lose is your comments on a SLC.

Good answer!Thanks a lot!

FYI , here is a technote concerning the possible cause .

The path below does not make sense to me .

C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\RSLogix5000.Temp directory

Question

Why might RSLogix 5000 software generate the following errors?

Failed to save the project. Couldn't be found. Error 3716-80042001

Unable to save file. Error 371-80042017

Unable to save file. Error 753-80042017

Answer

Another software application or even virus has erased the temporary files it was using.

When an (.ACD) is opened, the working data is uncompressed into the users TEMP directory. C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\RSLogix5000.Temp

Clicking Start--> Run and typing: %temp% will take you to this location.

There is also a (.WRK) file created in the same directory as the (.ACD) file. When the user clicks the 'Save' button, the (.WRK) file becomes the new (.ACD) file, and the original (.ACD) file becomes a backup file (BAK000.ACD).

What to do:

The offline work around is to 'Save As' the (.L5K) format.

If online the user will be forced to terminate the session. With RSLogix 5000 software shut down, delete the C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\RSLogix5000.Temp directory and afterwards go back online to save the changes within the Controller.

How to prevent:

Users need to engage in self investigation to find out what other software edited or removed the data from the; C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\RSLogix5000.Temp) directory.

If the culprit application is found, try to exclude the \RSLogix 5000.temp\ folder from being accessed so this doesn't happen again.

On a Windows Vista computer, verify the auto save function isn't triggering Vista to perform a scan which deleted the temporary files.

Good answer!Thanks a lot!