Any Suggestions For Free Servo Learning Allen Bradley

JeremyAdair87

I have 5 years of experience in the field and have recently left the nest where some of the higher level projects where reserved for the other programmers.

I am currently working in a plant with plenty of logix 500 and logix 5000 interfaced plcs with AB ultra servos, kintex, and a few yakasawas.

I lack servo experience. What I Really need is a project where I get to play with them, and I will probably Youtube this a bit more tonight but if anyone has good wisdom for alternative information I would be grateful.

Thanks!

I have seen a fair amount of RSLogix/Studio5000 videos on YouTube, but motion related stuff I have never looked for. Such a thing may well exist, but IMO there is no substitute for the real thing.

For setting up an Axis and drive combo try Googling:
Sercos Axis: 2094-um001
CIP Axis: 2097-um001
Also: motion-um001 and motion-rm003

If you have real hardware and have the axis setup and talking in your tree, read up in the Studio5000 online instruction help for:
MSO: (Motion Servo On) Turn on Servo
MSF: (Motion Servo Off) Turn off Servo
MASR: (Motion Axis Shutdown Reset) recover from Axis shutdown condition
MAFR: (Motion Axis Fault Reset) clear faults
MAM: (Motion Axis Move) Move Axis by specified distance or position
MAJ: (Motion Axis Jog) Move Axis at specified speed, regardless of position, until stopped
MAS: (Motion Axis Stop) Stop Axis move/jog/gear/cam operation already in progress.

You can use Tools -> Motion Direct Commands to test the above and more functions on an Axis before you begin programming them. These are just the tip of the iceberg, but they will get you a pretty good start on controlling a Servo motor.

thanks

Thank you very much for taking the time to look up the actual UM pdf numbers. I will download them and put them to good use as well as look through the help section of Logix 5000.

Thanks bud (y)

By the way I live in Siloam Springs. Small world.

Several options,
1. get permission from your boss to bring in a demo unit from your local distributor and park it at your desk / work area. you will need the plc and servo software.

2. get permission to leave the plant and goto the local distributor for some training (1 or 2 hours might be free).

regards,
james