AB Implicit Messaging

Bbarnett

Is it possible for an Allen Bradley PLC to communicate to a C# computer program implicitly? My understanding is that it can be done explicitly with the use of sockets.

It's technically possible to communicate with implicit communications but there could be some difficulty in actually implementing the protocol. You would use sockets in either case, explicit or implicit, but explicit would be TCP only, while implicit would require a mix of TCP and UDP.

There is at least one open source implicit client stack around - used to be on Github or sourceforge.

Note that you use explicit type communications to setup the implicit communication; this is not that clear in the table referenced.

For commercial libraries - your best bet - some options might be Softing, Ixxat, Pyramid Solutions. There could be others and I have no specific recommendation. Of course, you can roll your own as well...