RSLogix Offline (Topic 2 of 3)

akreel

My second question for the day comes with an amusing back-story. If you’ve got a full hour for lunch, or you like field engineer war stories, read my comments after the question.

1) In RSLogix500: when I make changes to a program offline and want to download to the controller (SLC 5/04 in particular), how do I prevent data tables from being overwritten? I don’t want to erase/overwrite data like parts counters or setpoints, just by converting a NO contact to a NC!

I discovered this little quirk while working with a SLC 5/04 attached to a testing station. After downloading a few changes to the processor, I noticed that my parts counters decreased and my “Heat Lot” number had changed. I tinkered a bit and found out that RSLogix was “updating” the processor with data from the last time I had saved online, WITHOUT ASKING ME IF THAT WAS OK. I tinkered some more, but could not find a way to change this. I threw my hands in the air and decided that was that and I was going to have to live with it. I’m used to that feeling when I work with big players like AB.

But, that wasn’t the end of it! Later that SAME day, I was working on another unit with a different set-up. This was a 5/03(?) with a non-RS232 Panelview. I needed that special box, some of you may have seen before, on my comm port to even communicate to these devices. I think I might have even been using a PCMCIA card rather than an RS232 port. All of this was installed on someone else’s laptop, and I can’t remember my exact configuration.

The funny part was this: with a COMPLETELY different setup; different processor, different protocol, different laptop, and different version of RSLogix (maybe), the program actually ASKED me if I wanted to transfer my data after downloading the program! I have no idea whether it was the program configuration, processor type, cable connection, or magic that caused this to happen. The owner of the laptop didn’t either. When I asked him he told me that he’d always had the same problem that I’d seen earlier that day. This was the same AB guru I mentioned in my previous post and he was just as amazed as I was.

akreel said:
In RSLogix500: when I make changes to a program offline and want to download to the controller (SLC 5/04 in particular), how do I prevent data tables from being overwritten? I don’t want to erase/overwrite data like parts counters or setpoints, just by converting a NO contact to a NC!

You don't. Unlike RSLogix5, there is no "partial download in a SLC"

What you can do is open two copies of RSLogix, one online with the current data tables, one with the files that you are ready to download. Don't Maximize RSLogix, but instead tile the two programs so that they are side by side.

Do a SAVE on the online file to get the latest and greatest data into the data tables.

Then, using your mouse and the CTRL and SHIFT keys, select the data tables you want to copy, and Drag-and-Drop them to the corresponding table in the new file. You'll be prompted if you want to replace the files.

Now the new program has the latest data. Go offline with the old program, and download the new.

It's a pain, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Someone may suggest that, if you view the properties of the data table, you can set them up to be Protected (Constant, Static, or None)
From the RSLogix500 Help
Constant protection protects values in the data table file from all changes via communication ports or your ladder program.
Static protection guards data table values from being altered by communication channels. Changes are only allowed by the ladder program during program execution or via online edits.

[size=1[i]RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software 2000[/i][/size]

My understanding (and I've been wrong before) is that the while the files are protected from normal manipulations, when doing a full download, the first command RSLogix sends is "Wipe Memory" (which is why the processor faults on a download - no program). Thus, the data tables aren't there to be "protected from communication channel changes"). From your tale, it may be that RSLogix has some error checking before doing the memory wipe, and so could give you the protection you seek.

But I don't think so. I'm as amazed as the AB rep that you got such a message. Are you sure it wasn't an accidental mouse error of dragging one data file to another that caused this message?

Save early save often

I either save a copy immediately before making any changes or do online edits. I prefer online editing, unless I’m making major changes I always go that way. If I make offline changes I have gone online then using the compare feature you can check the data tables.

Hope this helps :cool:
Rich

akreel said:
...the program actually ASKED me if I wanted to transfer my data after downloading the program!...

Man, I'd LOVE to get that message from RSLogix500!!! This has always been my biggest gripe. I usually don't have the luxury of the machine being idle while I make program changes. The scenario is usually:

• 1.) Upload the program (and current data tables) while the machine's running
    2.) Make my edits
    3.) Pray for an interrupt in production, then quickly download the new program (with the OLD data tables)
    4.) Fend off the shift supervisor's complaint that the counter values are from an hour ago!... :rolleyes:
The drag and drop method is an EXCELLENT workaround to this problem Allen!

I don't think I'll mess with data file protection on another OEM's machine, but will definately look into this idea for our own machines!

Many, many thanks!!!!... :D :D

beerchug

-Eric

Re: Re: RSLogix Offline (Topic 2 of 3)

Allen Nelson said:
What you can do is open two copies of RSLogix, one online with the current data tables, one with the files that you are ready to download. Don't Maximize RSLogix, but instead tile the two programs so that they are side by side...

I thought there might be a trick like this one. After reading Allen's post I gave it a shot and it seemed to work. I'll be filing that one away in my bag of tricks!

AK

Why dont you just edit online ?

Its the best feature that AB has. To be able to edit several places, and invoke the edits when you are finished. The data tables will be unaffected by the online editing (unless you want to edit them too).
Unless I do major reprogramming, I have for long dropped doing offline edits with AB PLC's.

I think that everyone is overlooking something.

While it's not the greatest to have to worry about overwriting data you can use simple copy/paste (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V) to copy data table within RSLogix.

While this may not be the best solution you can copy the data you need to save, download the program, then paste the data from the clipboard into the PLC data table.

(8{)} ( .)

Note on online editing- The processor is not always a 5/03 or higher.

In another case, we have often been contracted to make changes to our or other oem's machines. I am given the latest program and have to modify it at my desk. I then upload it when I get there, but I have to preserve current data.

(8{)} ( .) - When referring to you in conversation do we just call you "the artist"?

Apparently there is another option, although I have not been able to test it. The contrologix has this same flaw, for the time being. It uses a second piece of software to save the data then dump it back into the processor after the download. I just found out last week that this same utility works with a SLC. I have NOT tested it yet but if it works it may be a little easier than the copy/paste method that we have all had to struggle with for years. I was also told that V14 of RSL5000 will have a partial download feature. At least the new stuff is heading in the right direction. But, I'll believe it when I see it. banghead

Rick Densing said:
Note on online editing- The processor is not always a 5/03 or higher.

In another case, we have often been contracted to make changes to our or other oem's machines. I am given the latest program and have to modify it at my desk. I then upload it when I get there, but I have to preserve current data.

When you are editing at your desk, copy the edited rungs to an .lib file and them do as others have mentioned (save just prior to downloading and merging the data by copy/paste or drag/drop). Paste in the .lib files you made and you're done.

(8{)} ( .) - When referring to you in conversation do we just call you "the artist"?

OK, I guess I've got to identify myself...

My Name is Yosef Feigenbaum. I used to work for A-B tech support when I last lived in the U.S. (1988-1991). I've been doing engineering in Israel since moving back in 1991.

No, I don't look like Gidney.

(8{)} ( .)

comments

Hi all
i used SLC5/03 in my last project (1747-L532) and i failed to use the on lone editing ,i can't enable it.
i found two status bits i may be S33/11 &S33/12 this bits are for online editing but i can't force them to 1 to enable this function.
how can i enable this function in my rslogix 500.
BR

Rick, forgive me for correcting, but the 5/03 supported online editing from the start. It didn't support Float at the start but online editing I am pretty sure it did. That was one of the big initial selling points.

Hesham, perhaps that feature has been disabled. Try this:

Open the file offline
In the Project Tree on the left right-click on the ladder you wish to edit (such as LAD 2) and select Properties.
See if the "Allow Online Editing" field is checked.

Now I am doing this from home without the software so I may have that backwards. It may say "Prevent Online Edits" or something like that. View the setting and see if it is correct.

If that field is not set properly, then you will not be able to edit.

Also, you might indicate what software you are using. I am assuming you are using RSLogix500. Also, please indicate what steps you are taking and what exactly isn't working.

OG