Calculate Flow Totalizer using Pulses

Dear Experts,:)

I have E&H flow meter (promag L400 ,5L4C4F, DN450) which has pulse o/p with these specs: Pulse width Adjustable:0.05 to 2000 ms
Maximum pulse rate 10 000 Impulse/s
Pulse value Adjustable
And there are other details in manual for pulses which I do not know the benefit of it (attached).
Also I have controllogix L72 which with standard Di card
the question is : Can I use the standard DC I/P card to calculate the totalizer of the flow meter and if not why?:confused:
and if I use instead of 1756-IB16 I will use 1756-Ib16IF
can this card do the job
please help me to understand pulse consideration and design accurate system.
Thanks.

flow1.PNG

The Promag L400 looks like it has a Built in totalizer and Ethernet/IP, you might be better off doing that instead.

What is your expected range of flow rates? that should tell you the frequency you will have to detect and can decide if the card is fast enough.

Any normal DI card is typically good for flow meter pulses because the meter can make them long enough. Choose a combination of pulse volume and pulse length for your highest possible flow to catch each pulse in different plc scans and so that the pulse length is not longer than when the next pulse should come.

Just do not set your pulse resolution faster than PLC scan time :)

Few hours wasted on figuring why my PLC totalized value differ from the built in totalizer and estimated volume in the tank.

What kind of accuracy are you looking for? We use High Speed Counter inputs for flow meter pulses. I'm not saying a regular digital input won't work, but you may sacrifice accuracy.