Bekhoff CX9000 Communication problem

PieterDM

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a beckhoff CX9000(N031) and I have problems reconnecting to the plc.
The communication runs over ethernet, so I pulled out the cable to simulate communication loss, at the side of my PC, and then plugged it back in after 30 sec. But now I am unable to reconnect to the PLC.
When I open system manager it says 'timeout' and when I do a broadcast search it won't show up. Also pinging the PLC in command prompt doesn't work.
Am I missing some configurations, or does anyone know how to solve this problem?

I bought the CX9000, did a factory reset.
did a broadcast search, the plc immidiatly came up.
Gave the plc a static ip adress.
PLC rebooted.
Downloaded a sample project, and ran it.
Untill here no problem, but then I pulled out the ethernet cable.

I have TC V2.11, free version of the site, not registered yet.

Greatly appreciate your help!

Not pinging....that's not good.

So the CX9000 does not appear in the router?

Try a different port, try a different cable

Try a factory reset again (back to DHCP)

Edit: did you reboot the CX after you assigned a static IP-adress? You need to reboot before it is vallid.

Last edited:
Hi Ivo, thanks for your reply.
these are my findings so far: I did a factory reset again and did not gave the PLC a static ip adress. pulled the cable out. System manager said 'timeout'. plugged the cable back in after 50 seconds, and the controller re-appeared after 20 sec.

I downloaded my plc program. And afterwards disconnected the cable. Plugged the cable back in, but now the controller doesn't appear anymore. ( I waited 5 minutes)
I rebooted my computer, openend system manager again, and I immediatly had connection with the plc again. so it seems I have to reboot after a connection failure.

But I need my plc to have a static IP adress. So I will test this now.
When I set a static ip adress, system managers says the PLC needs to restart, so I click OK. the plc restarts, (I can tell by the leds). Is this the reboot you mean. Or are you saying I should cycle the power of the plc afterwards?

When I set a static ip adress, system managers says the PLC needs to restart, so I click OK. the plc restarts, (I can tell by the leds). Is this the reboot you mean. Or are you saying I should cycle the power of the plc afterwards?

This automatic restart is what I meant with a reboot. Normally the restarting of the plc or any other ethernet-device is the reboot needed to make the static IP-adress active.

Question:

What IP-adress and subnet-mask do you use?
Do you use a Telenet of Proximus-router or something different?

I rebooted my computer, openend system manager again, and I immediatly had connection with the plc again. so it seems I have to reboot after a connection failure.

This should not happen. Did you also reboot the plc at the same time?

By the way: you know how
- to make your configuration active?
- to download a programm
- to make a bootproject so that the plc restart it's programm and settings after a powerloss?

the IP adress I use for the PLC: 192.168.1.69
the IP adress I give my PC: 192.168.1.70
subnet mask for both: 255.255.0.0

I connect my PLC directly to my PC, no switch.

No I dit not rebooted the PLC, just rebooted my pc, opened system manager.

Yesterday I gave my PLC a static IP adress. and downloaded my sample project. My sample project contains just 1 pulsing output, so I can tell by the leds of my output card that te program is running.
So my program was running. I pulled out the cable, waited half a minute and plugged the cable back in. Since then I am again unable to connect to the plc.

I am starting to think there is something wrong with the CX.
I have not yet made a boot project, I don't know yet how to. I have some exprecience with rockwell PLC's, but it's my first Beckhoff.

Boot-project

PLC-control > Online > Create bootproject.

On power OFF->ON, the program will run automatic. Otherwise you'll need to download it again.

the IP adress I use for the PLC: 192.168.1.69
the IP adress I give my PC: 192.168.1.70
subnet mask for both: 255.255.0.0

I connect my PLC directly to my PC, no switch.

I guess that you do this because you don't have access to a router and still want to have communication (peer-tot-peer).

Set pc and CX to DHCP, connect them without a router and they'll get an IP-adres in the range of ....169.254.x.y with subnetmask 255.255.0.0 (link-local-IP-adressrange)

It should not take more than a minute before your pc sees your CX. Windows will give a message: 'unknown network' or something like it.

You can always pbone to Beckhoff; in Belgium the support is superb and free of charge.

Instead of a broadcast-search you can let the System Manager look for a specific IP-adres:

top-left:

Enter hostname/IP

There you can type in: 192.168.1.69

I have one processer where I need to do this.

Hi Ivo,

the reason I wanted to give the plc a static ip adress is because I want to use a website to control the PLC. ( couple of inputs), So I have to give the PC that runs the webserver a static IP adress.

When I use DHCP on the PC and the PLC, I have communication. But I always have had communication in this case. I only had problems when I pulled out the cable and tried to reconnect afterwards. Then I had to restart my computer I have experienced.

For the moment I did some testing this evening. I had to factory reset again, downloaded a program (which is running) made a boot project, which also works. I have cycled the power and the program started to run by itself.
I could connect to the plc in system manager, but couldn't set it in config mode. Also I could'n go online in plc control. got the error 'communication error #2 logout preformed'

I'll be testing some more tomorrow.

Hi Ivo, I have found a solution to my problem. When I unplugged the cable to simulate communication loss, our wireless router assigned my PC with twincat installed another IP adress. And when I plugged in the cable the communication didn't come back and I think the router assigns in another range. When I reboot the pc ( it's actually a VM) with wireless network adapter off on my host, and the cable in place, I have connection now, everytime.
For the final project I wo'nt give the plc a static ip adress, but will configure the router to assign always the same ip adress.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this problem :)