Panelview Plus 6 vs Panelview Plus 7- .MER's ran on 6's will run on 7's, correct ?

Rob S.

Good Afternoon ,

Took notice the price really jumped on Panelview Plus 6's . A .MER runtime that was running on a Panelview Plus 6 will run seamlessly on a Panelview Plus 7 , correct ?

Thanks in advance ,

... probably.

One of the tricky compatibility issues has always been the OS and Architecture dependency of ActiveX controls. A project built for FTView 5.0 with an ActiveX has to be re-compiled to run on a PanelView Plus 6 with an updated ActiveX.

I believe that the OS is basically the same between PanelView Plus 6 and PanelView Plus 7 (it's Windows CE 6.0) but I'm not 100% confident that the difference in architecture (ARM on the Standard, x86 on the Performance) in the PV+7 won't interfere with ActiveX controls.

If you don't use ActiveX controls, then your project will almost certainly run on the PV+7 without major (or in fact any) changes.

Also: read up on the limitations of the PVP7 Standard, as opposed to PVP7 Performance.

A PVP7 Standard can only talk to one PLC, and has limits to the number of displays and alarms. If your PVP6 is currently talking to more than one PLC, or if the .mer contains more displays/alarms than the Standard allows, then your .mer will not run on a PVP7 Standard.

If none of those apply, or if you're using a PVP7 Performance model, then as Ken said:

....probably.

For most stuff it's no big deal, except the resolution is way better so you have to decide between super tiny icons, let factorytalk attempt to scale everything and look like a half blind gradeschooler designed the graphics, or redraw everything manually.

Doesn't the runtime file from the 6 have to be re-created to run on the 7, making sure standard or performance is selected?
I wanted to say I had to use at least version 9 in order to have the 7 standard and performance options.

Doesn't the runtime file from the 6 have to be re-created to run on the 7, making sure standard or performance is selected?
I wanted to say I had to use at least version 9 in order to have the 7 standard and performance options.

I didn't run into this problem when I loaded an mer file for a PVP1000 Compact v6 into its equivalent, the PVP1000 Standard v7. What didn't really work out is that the resolution for the v7 is higher so the mer screens only occupy about 70% of the total screen size on the v7. We had to rescale the app and recreate the mer for the v7.