CP5512 Won't Appear On XP Laptop

Aabeck

I have my XP laptop that has Step 7 installed, it is the laptop I use that has a serial port & PC slot for my 5512 card.

However, recently the 5512 does not show up in the PC/PC Interface list. According to the help it is Plug-N-Play, and should automatically appear when inserted.

It appears in Device Manager & shows as working properly. I have tried updating the driver, uninstalling it from Device Manager, repairing then uninstalling Step 7, all with no result.

I have searched the forum and found something for a newer Windows about renaming a ProgramData database folder to .OLD then starting Simatic Manager in admin mode - but XP does not have the ProgramData folder that database folder was shown in, and I haven't found where it would be in XP yet.

Does anyone know where this folder would be in XP? Or is there another procedure I should try here?

On the side - I did put my USB adapter in & it immediately showed in PG/PC interface and I am using it - but I would rather keep that with my Windows 7 laptop that has Step7 & TIA on it.

nhatsen,

I have searched AppData and Application Data folders for all users.

The other post says: Go to C:\ProgramData\Siemens\Automation\Simatic OAM\data\LogDevices
Rename the data folder to data_old

In the All Users/Application Data/Siemens/ there is a folder named Automation - that is the only place any folder named that appears, it does not have a folder Simatic OAM - I searched the entire C: drive and no folder shows, also a search for LogDevices has no results anywhere

The only place a data folder shows is Step 7/S7DATA - but that has quite a few folders and files in it so I don't want to do anything to it until I am sure what I can do to it.

sigmadelta,

I went through all the steps they listed, had to search the registry as no 5512 entries were where they showed, found them in another section. Deleted them all after I backed-up the registry.

Tried opening Simantic manager as an administrator, even uninstalled the driver AND Step 7, rebooted then reinstalled, ran as administrator but still no 5512.

Right now I am uninstalling ALL siemens software, then clear the registry and Device Manager, then reinstall Step 7 first & see if that works.

Just to keep everyone updated:

After putting the 5512 in another laptop with a PC card to make sure it was good (it works) I tried System Restore; uninstalling, deleting the Siemens folder, deleting all Siemens keys in regedit (after a backup), and reinstalling Step 7 - still nothing.

I had to end up reinstalling Windows XP (a fresh installation) then when I reinstalled Step 7 the 5512 card and all it's options appeared fine and test ok.