Struggling With TM221 Thermocouple Somachine Basic Scaling

smiley125

Afternoon all

I am having a few problems with scaling a thermocouple.

I'm using a TM221CE40R with a TM3TI8 input card and a type K thermocouple -60 to 350 degrees C.

At first i tried setting the config to the default to type K which gives a
"minimum range value" of -2000 (0.1°c)
"maximum range value" of 13000 (0.1°c)

this gave me an analog signal of approx 20 for a temperature of 7 degrees.

setting the scale to the probe values of min -60°c and max +350°c gives a reading of -1°c gives a reading of 0.

I am probably doing something rather stupid as it is the first time I have tried to use this particular input card.

I have had a good google and look on here but can't seem to find the answers.

Thanks in advance

You need to enable ”cold junction (CJ)or ice point compensation.

An isothermal thermocouple, one which is the same temperature at both ends, generates 0.0mV (in the absence of a temperature gradient).

So a T/C at room temperature and an AI at room temperature will ”see” 0mV which is the freezing point of water: 0 Deg C.

It is the cold junction compensator that measures the temperature of the AI terminals, room temperature in this case, and adds that value to what the T/C signal provides.

Without cold junction, the AI is reporting a too-low temperature, one which needs CJ added to it for correction.

Sometimes an external CJ sensor is used. Most times it’s built-in and is enabled by configuration setup.

Don't forget that Red is Negative with type "K" thermocouples...
The red lead is also magnetic...I usually use the term "Mag-Negative" to help me remember.

Just realised i have never replied to this,

I gave a few things a try even purchasing a spare PLC and Input card to test the theories but the plc and card worked straight out of the box so i think it may be something to do with the installation. I cannot get to the installation until winter so will update once i have more information.