Remote monitoring using GSM modem - water treament plant

ckchew666

Hi,

We are proposing on a project where monitoring is done on a water treament plant.

The treament plant has a Yokogawa recorder & the data (a few) will be send to the central monitoring station.

What we proposed is:

At the treament plant site, link the Yokogawa DX paperless recorder (Ethernet) to the Yokogawa FAM3 PLC (Ethernet). Then the GSM modem (serial) will be connected to the Yokogawa FAM3 serial port.

While at the central monitoring system, the GSM modem will hooked into another FAM3 PLC and the PLC will be connected to the workstation for monitoring purpose thru serial port.

1) Can the GSM modem at the central monitoring system connected directly into the workstation & run with monitoring software or SCADA (like RSViewME). If can, we can save the cost on the PLC at the CMS.

Anyone come across such application please throw in your advise, highly appreciate it.

Thanks. :)

Hi
In the latest i have seen some cheap ethernet to serial converters and you also have gsm modems with integrated IP stack so i think i might be possible to conect the paperless recorder directly to modem and modem to workstation.Some modems also have control abilities and script language or C pragrammable ex. Sony-Ericsson GT47 900/1800Mhz GT48 1900Mhz and some wavecom models too.

Jack

jwh said:
Hi
In the latest i have seen some cheap ethernet to serial converters and you also have gsm modems with integrated IP stack so i think i might be possible to conect the paperless recorder directly to modem and modem to workstation.Some modems also have control abilities and script language or C pragrammable ex. Sony-Ericsson GT47 900/1800Mhz GT48 1900Mhz and some wavecom models too.

Jack

Hi,

We have the Meastro 100 GSM modem on-loan from our supplier from testing purpose.
Does anyone have any sample VB script for the SCADA to work with the modem (open port, dialing....etc..)?

The modem does not take VB code, it runs on AT command only.

Thanks.