WW InTouch Development using IDE..questions

Paullys50

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am curious about developing InTouch applications using the IDE (I have yet to use IDE and am unsure of its capabilities besides the Archestra graphics benefit). We are a bit dated I think in how we develop InTouch applications as we continue to use the older application manager. We are getting more and more involved in large, multiple PLC, multiple area projects. Multiple engineers are working on these projects and are not necessarily in the same office. Needless to say this makes development harder to track as there is no formal version control, just ZIP files emailed back-and-forth or up on a SharePoint server.

Traditionally InTouch projects with multiple systems are developed as stand-alone applications then merged into a single application just prior to system commissioning. This works, but again we have version issues and some variances in design as each programmer may implement a tiny detail in a different manner, once the projects are merged these inconsistencies become obvious to the anal-minded and re-work ensues.

I would like to develop an InTouch application using the IDE in hopes of centralizing the development to minimize the stated problems, so a master galaxy would be created and a “managed” InTouch application developed. The central server would be available on the local network in the office as well as a VPN tunnel for those working outside of the office. Engineers would be able to connect to the central galaxy remotely, then the application would be checked-in/out and everyone could see the work of the entire project.

My concern is working on multiple areas of a project at the same time, it seems when the InTouch application its checked out no one else can edit it. Seems to be a one-user method. Now this is where my inexperience comes into play, maybe there is a way to setup the galaxy to achieve multiple user edits at the same time while keeping the central project. So that is my question, is it possible to use IDE and have multiple users editing the same galaxy (but different areas) at the same time?

Or is the solution that I have multiple InTouch View applications in the same galaxy for each area, I’ll get the check in/out and version control. And if an area is not being edited, another engineer can review the work to ensure consistency is achieved. Then when it’s time to commission I assume those separate InTouch View applications would be required to be merged again? Each area of the plant should be able to be viewed from any client station, security roles dictated read/write access to the different areas.

Is what I am asking achievable if we develop using the IDE? Anyone else tackle this issue that can share their methods?

Thanks!

You are exactly right.

The InTouch App is still single user.
One advantage of using the Galaxy is that of the object templates. Develop once, use many. Then drop the standardized graphic into InTouch for the individual object.

Multiple applications can be within the Galaxy, and deployed to specific clients. Example - two projection lines - one for bottles, one for cans. The application on the bottles line can be totally independent of the one for cans.

Now - one slick way to have multiple applications visible in a central area would be to utilize ThinClient technology and use AGP. They have a drop in that can switch between virtualizations.

One thing that I have not tried, but would be conceptually functional is that a screen could be developed in the IDE, then dropped on a InTouch screen. There are limitations, but if engineered correctly, would provide the advantages that the IDE provides. One in particular that I like is that an InTouch application wouldn't need to be redeployed for a screen change - because it is an object update.

You are exactly right.
One thing that I have not tried, but would be conceptually functional is that a screen could be developed in the IDE, then dropped on a InTouch screen. There are limitations, but if engineered correctly, would provide the advantages that the IDE provides. One in particular that I like is that an InTouch application wouldn't need to be redeployed for a screen change - because it is an object update.

I think this is the way WW are heading, eventually WindowMaker will be phased out (we hear).
The benefit of doing it this way, is that one developer can work on one screen that is an object, and then it can be imported back in. Obviously, all the other objects they require will need to be exported as well..
The other benefit is that the graphics scale better as an object that WM does. (or so we've been told)

We are just starting another System Platform project from scratch, & are going to use the Window = Object approach. Will be interesting to see how it goes.