Andrew

Hi Gentlemen,
Your advice is needed please. I need to make some adjustments in PLC code that was written using B&R Automation Studio v2.5.1 (The controller is B&R 2003 7CP476-020.9). I was trying to do it using my v3.0 but unfortunately Automation studio says that the code was created using v2.5.1 and does not let me to open the file. I tried even by using v2.5.3 but it asks me for Runtime v2.38. I noticed that v 2.5.3 has only v2.40. It looks like on B&R website I can update my current version to the higher one but unfortunately it does not let me make it lower.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.🍻
Andrew

Hello Andrew,

to open a project with AS 3.x it needed to be opened at least with a version >= 2.6 before.

So, if you can, please try to open the 2.5 with 2.6, than you should be able to open it with 3.x

--
In case you continue with 2.5: after open the project you can change the Runtime version to 2.40 (as you inform it has at the moment installed 2.38). This should be somewhere "Project"|"Change Runtime version".

But, take care, if you have to go online with this project at a customer, you should replace on the customers CPU the OS version also, which means you will lose ever data as long as you don't save it in any way.

--
* You also could get in contact with B&R and ask for the Operating system (V2.38).

* You also could ask for 2.49 (or maybe you even have it) as it is the newest (and last) version for SG3.

* Finally, you can also ignore this info and continue with different versions (I think).

Check out the homepage of B&R or try [email protected]

br
bb

Hi Bits'bytes,
Thank you for your reply. I was trying to open the project using my v2.5.3 and Studio asked me if I would like to convert the code to v2.5.3. I said yes and it was converted. Then I connected my computer to B&R 2003 controller over RS232 cable and tried to monitor the system but unfortunately I got a massage that I need to use Runtime v2.38. Today I contacted B&R office in Austria and they told me to try to change the OS to runtime v2.40 through Project -> Change OS version. So I did it and I was going tomorrow to connect my computer to B&R 2003 controller and see if I would be able to monitor the system and to make some changers in the code on customer machine. But at the moment I am a little bit confused as you are saying that:

"But, take care, if you have to go online with this project at a customer, you should replace on the customers CPU the OS version also, which means you will lose ever data as long as you don't save it in any way."

What does it mean? Yes, I understand that in order to monitor the system and to make some adjustments in present PLC code I would need to connect my computer to B&R 2003 controller over RS232 cable and in order to monitor the system I have as well to convert PLC code to Runtime v2.40. What data would I loose? Would that be the same PLC code that it was before that would perform in the same way after conversion or something would be different? And if different how to save the present code in order to write it back if something would go wrong? I am trying to understand as well how would I write the old code if my computer uses Runtime v2.40 and not v2.38?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew,
many questions, I hope we can work something out here o_O.

... system but unfortunately I got a massage that I need to use Runtime v2.38. Today I contacted B&R office in Austria and they told me to try to change the OS to runtime v2.40 through Project -> Change OS version. So I did it and I was going tomorrow to connect my computer to B&R 2003 controller and see if I would be able to monitor the system and to make some changers in the code on customer machine. ....

You have an OS configured on your project (Studio) and there is an OS installed on the PLC.

Both OS versions should be the same because of the libraries (library functions) that are nested in the OS and that are used throughout the PLC code.

If you change the OS version in the project, the Studio will compile all tasks and modules. So next time you go online

- you can watch PV's in the monitor, OK
- you can not use line coverage
- you can not download only one piece of code, but it will donwload all modules and tasks, also it will download all binaries of the libraries (part of OS)

So again, it is recommended (I guess it is not 100% necessary) to use the same OS on the PLC as you use on the Studio.
Therefor you need to update the OS on the PLC.

What does it mean? Yes, I understand that in order to monitor the system and to make some adjustments in present PLC code I would need to connect my computer to B&R 2003 controller over RS232 cable and in order to monitor the system I have as well to convert PLC code to Runtime v2.40.
Yes, understood well, the code is converted to V2.40, so once you start download, it will download all code. Although you dont change one piece of programming code, your binaries will be compiled.

Would that be the same PLC code that it was before that would perform in the same way after conversion or something would be different?
It is the same code but it is "linked" to OS function calls of different OS version. There is a good chance the code is doing exactly the same, but no guarantee. Compare it with using a newer DLL on a windows machine....

And if different how to save the present code in order to write it back if something would go wrong?
Use PVI-Transfer to upload all code from the PLC. Including data-moduls. Depending on the structure, also upload configuration data that may be located on permanent variables and so on. Analise of these problem is only possible in good knowledge of the program structure...

Also, you should have a backup of the original project folder and thus have the original version.

I am trying to understand as well how would I write the old code if my computer uses Runtime v2.40 and not v2.38?
At the moment the Studio OS is V2.40 and the PLC OS is V2.38 right ??

You can only download the current code if

- you have uploaded everything with PVI Transfer. You can also download all with PVI-Transfer.

or

- you make manually a transfer list for PVI Transfer from the original binaries folder of the studio project and download it with PVI Transfer (assuming that on the PLC is now exactly running the code from your original folder).

With Studio you can not download the current code, as you dont have the corresponding OS version on the studio project.

Either thing is not really trivial if you have no experience with it.

What data would I loose?
When you install OS version on the PLC, you will loose all data of variables and so on. Any recipes that are stored somewhere on the PLC (CF card should be safe). Permanent variables get lost (the ones that are kept after cold-start). And of course all code is gone, but that you can download after programming OS.

Resume: to be on the safe side, guessing the PLC has installed V2.38 I would try to get V2.38 for the Studio. Than you should have no problems making your changes and only changed code will be transferred to the PLC. No need to change the OS with all the risks it brings (100% compatibility can not be given).

I hope I did not bring the total confusion to you :)

br
bb

PVI Error 4071: Not enough target memory free

Thank you, bits'bytes,
I was trying to open that file with the code and unfortunately it was modified. So the system is down. Now I am trying to load the original files through PVI option and at first everything was fine and files were loading but then approximately half way through the system gave me an error saying that "Not enough target memory free". How to release some memory in order to load the rest of the files? Is there any reset button somewhere as I could not find any on 2003 controller? Or is there any other way how to deal with that?

Thank you in advance.
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
PVI Transfer has command "Clear Memory". You have to choose than which memory to clear. In your case this would be than USER-ROM.

br
bb

Thank you bits'bytes for your letter.
I tried and I got an error that I understand it failed to clear the memory. I attached the screenshots of the steps that I did with the final error massage there.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Andrew

Delete memory 00.jpg Delete memory 01.jpg Delete memory 02.jpg Delete memory 03.jpg Delete memory 04.jpg

Hi Andrew,
just like in the other script you use for downloading, you need to configure and start a connection.

after delete user-rom ALL programs and recipts on that memory pool is gone!

good luck for the service.
br
bb

Hi bits'bytes,
I could be wrong but it looks as the connection is fine as I was trying to load the files and the first part of the files was loaded successfully without any issues till I got the message that the memory is full. I have attached the screenshot from one of the previous sessions when I was trying to load the files where it says that connection was established.

Thanks,
Andrew

Error 3.jpg

Hi Andrew,
check and make sure the PLC is not in Diagnostic Mode, than the PLC does not offer either User-Rom nor Fix-Ram.

Read the error-log if you have the diagnostic mode to find out why.

br
bb

Hi bits'bytes,
Sorry for my question but how to check if my PLC is in diagnostic mode or not? Is that comes from the status of the front LEDs? And how to change the status of controller from and to diagnostic mode. Sorry for a lot of questions as I am relatively new to this.

Thank you in advance.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
you should read PLC status with PVI Transfer.

if it says diagnostic, you have to read the error logbook (also with PVI Transfer)

when there is no on going error condition, the diagnostic mode is changed
- by HALT -> to PLC stop
- by WARMSTART -> PLC run
- by COLDSTART -> PLC run

if there is an error condition, you can only see with the error log.

when you have diagnostic, the ERR LED is on steady.

br
bb

Hi, can you help me?
I have a 4PP015.0420 panel with the led error that stays between green and red, and it doesn't work.
The sequence of the LEDs at power:
Yellow Red
Green Red
Green Green
Green Green&Red
And on the display
Version 1.1
Status 400041000
I think there is a Status Register that indicates the errors.
How can I see it to know why the PLC is not put in RUN?

Thank you in for your help.
Sorry for my english

Back
Top Bottom