s5 analog signal in series

alex fraser

Is it possible to series 4-20ma signal with other4-20ma control device before inputting to Analog input channel without affecting signal.

I haven't tried it but the obvious answer has to be no. If device 1 wants to transmit 10mA and device 2 wants to transmit 15mA what do you hope to get ?

I think you want to conect analog signal from one current source to S5 input module an then to another device connected to the same line i series with S5.
Yes it's possible in some cases, but depends of S5 module type and/or this another device (type of its input).

s5 4-20m more information

What I have at present is a 4-20ma signal from level control to Analog in on S5 PLC.I have a telemetry unit with a 4-20ma input channel.Is it possible to series the signal thro the telemetry
unit to the Analog channel on the PLC without affecting the signal.

You can put any number of analog display/receivers in series from a single transmitter subject to two limitations:

1) The total resistance of all devices in the loop cannot exceed the maximum allowable load for the transmitter. PAy particluar attention to loop powered devices, as they "look like" very high impedence loads at low transmitter signals.

2) Only one device in the loop may be tied to power supply common or ground. For example, chart recorders often have internal connections between power supply "-" and the signal "-". PLC inputs often have the same arrangement. If two devices tie the signal to common "-" only the first in the series will get the 4-20 mA signal. In that case you need to add signal isolators.

Pay particular notice to Tom's answer 1). Another opetion is to buy a signal conditioner that has 1 input and 2 identical outputs. The units have to be powered though as they are in effect amplifiers and splitters although both outputs and the input are all isolated from each other with the ones I have used (M System).