1734-AENTR /B CIP connection errors

Dryhops

We have a small ring network of point IO racks all using the 1734-AENTR communications adapter. These all are connected to a 1769-L33ER CompactLogix controller.

Yesterday, two sensors on the same 1734-IE2C module experienced erratic readings, and the POINTBUS Status indicator light was flashing red. I also noticed that a module had been removed at some point, and there was a gap in the rack.

I swapped the suspect module for a spare, and this seemed to work for a few hours, then one of the sensors started to send erratic readings again (curiously, the second one was fine).

The 1734-AENTR documentation says that the flashing POINTBus status could indicate that a module is missing or the number of modules in the configuration does not match those installed. Obviously, a module was missing so the fault makes sense, however this rack seems to have been running just fine for a long time without the module.

Hoping that clearing the fault would fix the module issues, I decided to power cycle the panel since the documentation says "At power cycle the number of expected modules does not equal the modules present". When it rebooted, it apparently lost all CIP connections and will not reestablish them.

Is there a way to re-initiate these connections? Do I need to reboot the PLC to do so? Perhaps the entire adapter is progressively failing and needs to be replaced? I should add that I can connect to the web interface for the adapter so it is connected to the network and I can see all of the modules listed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

An update:
I was able to reestablish the CIP connection with the rack. The web interface provided little in terms of fault/error messages. It was necessary to install the most recent Add on Profile for the 1734-AENTR, which allowed me to see that the module error code was 16#0010, which is a "module is in the incorrect state". Placing a spare in the empty slot and rebooting was all that was needed.

It seems like the module was removed, but this was the first time that the panel was power cycled, so the issue didn't manifest until now.

I still could use advice about the sensors on one of the modules. Both sensors wired to an 1734-IE2C are losing connection intermittently. Swapping the module did not help. Does this point to the chassis as the problem?