ABB PLC and Ignition SCADA for Pilot Plant Application

raiderrob11

Hi All,

I have started a side project for the control on a table top scale, continuous chemical process for a startup (limited money). This system also needs to be scaleable as this can be considered a pilot build but if it takes off, more points will be added to this system. Right now looking at something like 50 to 70 I/O points with control loops. The process will involve both analog and discreet points but significant analog. For now, I just need the PLC and the HMI on a standalone computer. Would prefer to do the programming in Function Block Diagram.

My first thought as I have a back ground in chemical plants was Allen Bradley but that is just too expensive for this type of a project. Just the software licensing was like $10,000. I also know about Automation Direct but not sure how much confidence I have with them and that is only in ladder logic. With a little more research, I came up with ABB plc and Ignition as the SCADA. The reasons for this, is for now I it looks like I might be able to get by with the ABB Basic Automation software, which is free. And I think I can upgrade to a paid version later if I need to but not sure how much that will cost yet.

https://new.abb.com/plc/automationbuilder/platform/software

For the SCADA, I think I can get by with the Ignition Vision Module Limited software for $3500. Not sure about the OPC, drivers, and connectivity with the ABB plc if that will be a problem or more money yet. But it looks like other things I can add as I need them. I have not chosen the exact plc model yet.

https://inductiveautomation.com/pricing/ignition

So I do not have any experience with ABB or Ignition or really a project like this. I would be interested in your feedback.

Thanks much!

Last edited:
I would still use Allen Bradley PLC - Ignition is the perfect choice for SCADA. I don't know if you need any HMI as Ignition will run on just about anything and you can create your own windows.

Been doing more research on this. Now I am leaning towards CodeSys 3 and a Wago PLC as a cost effect solution for this application. The CodeSys 3 might be a bit of a learning curve, but it looks like it is a useful thing to know and I am willing to take a crack it. I think I would start with the pure CodeSys, maybe down the road move to e!****pit if necessary. Right now I only really need Ignition for the visualization and that might be over kill so I would probably look at the something different for that.

I am finding the Wago site a bit opaque as which controller I should select. I do not need a lot of I/O, 250 points would be plenty, but the process will include analog and discrete I/O plus PID loops. Although I have not contacted them yet.

Any thoughts on this approach?

not sure about the Codesys route.

But I do know if you get a Inductive Automation Salesmen you can get the Limited version cheaper than the $3500 - thats a 5 Client limited version. If you call you can get a 1 Client with A/B driver for around 1K. Then you can scale it up as you go for $700 per client until the 3500 is met then would go unlimited after that.