Safety Switch Nomenclature

milmat1

Folks,
On a machine, I have some safety bumper switches placed so an operator can bump them with his arm and it forces an ESTOP condition.
I need to label these safety switches (on the machine), but not sure what to call them. I can't call them an ESTOP.
How about some ideas here....
Safety Stop..
Shut Down Switch..
SAFE STOP
...Etc
What are the limitations as for what they are labeled.. If any ??

Not sure you can use a safety edge as an “E-stop”. Most of the ones I’ve seen are self resetting when pressure is removed and most standards require manual release of an E-stop. I believe safety edges are intended for guarding hazards (pinch points) similar to a light curtain or area scanner.

The semi-official industry term for them is a "Safety Edge" device, so I have used signs that say "Safety Edge - Emergency Stop"
This is about what I had decided to do, Thanks...
Not sure you can use a safety edge as an “E-stop”. Most of the ones I’ve seen are self resetting when pressure is removed and most standards require manual release of an E-stop. I believe safety edges are intended for guarding hazards (pinch points) similar to a light curtain or area scanner.

That is what they are doing. guarding an area where the operator is very close to a hazard. However if tripped they will kill my main safety relay, requiring a push button manual reset of the machine..

I wouldn't call it an E-stop. Some standards require E-stop to be "mechanically lathing" [ISO 13850 4.4.3], or self-latching [NFPA 79 10.7.2.2]. Can you use a pull wire E-Stop instead?